SIMMONS & CO, TANNER STREET

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

SIMMONS & CO, TANNER STREET

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 am

No's 3, 5 & 7 Tanner Street were built around 1838 as one building but used, until 1888, as three separate commercial premises. In 1888 the building was purchased by the Simmons Company, makers of perambulators, mail carts and stretchers. Simmons later purchased No.1 Tanner St and connected the four buildings together for different aspects of their production. No.1 Tanner St was used for painting and finishing and No.3 was the location of the forge where Simmons produced their patented carriage springs.
Simmons failed to become involved in the war effort and their production methods were overtaken by other manufacturers, notably Silver Cross. By 1952 Simmons were selling No.1 Tanner St and the company finally closed its doors in 1959.
5&7 Tanner St as pictured from Tanner St park in 1957 prior to the building being purchased by George Hine & Sons.
SIMMONS & CO LTD.jpg
PRAMS 1.jpg
PRAMS

kiwi
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: SIMMONS & CO, TANNER STREET

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 am

PRAM 3.jpg
PRAM 2.jpg

kiwi
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: SIMMONS & CO, TANNER STREET

Postby kiwi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Simmons & Co, Tanner Street..jpg
Staff Photo, the small building behind became the Midland Bank.
The white building in background was the garage in Morocco Street.

Simmonds & Co,Tanner St..jpg
STAFF ON A DAY OUT c 1958.

kiwi
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: SIMMONS & CO, TANNER STREET

Postby kiwi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:59 am

, Simmons Co staff, outside No1 Tanner Street, Bermondsey.jpg
, Simmons Co staff, outside No1 Tanner Street, Bermondsey


Return to “Buildings & Streets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests