Postby kiwi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:21 am

Borough Market.jpg
BOROUGH MARKET

kiwi

Re: BOROUGH MARKET

Postby kiwi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:58 pm

Borough Market, Southwark,1979   X.jpg
Borough Market.  X.jpg
The sign is still there but its not selling potato's.?

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 pm

Borough Market, Southwark Aftermath of Market Fire 1939, WW2.
It states-- “ The Market itself survived relatively intact. One bomb fell on Green Dragon Court, causing significant damage to the Market’s roof ”
Not sure if this is the damaged caused by the bomb that fell on Green Dragon Court or a different fire.? ”It says the Market itself survived relatively intact’ To me that’s a lot of damage, so I have my doubts that it is the same incident.?
Borough Market, Southwark Aftermath of  Market Fire 1939, WW2.  1  X.png
Borough Market, Southwark Aftermath of  Market Fire 1939, WW2. 2  X.png

Borough Market, Southwark Aftermath of  Market Fire 1939, WW2. 3  X.png
Borough Market, Southwark Aftermath of  Market Fire 1939, WW2. 4  X.png

Borough Market, Southwark Aftermath of  Market Fire 1939.  X.png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:49 am

Borough Market, Rochester Walk,Stoney Street far end.  X.png
Borough Market, Rochester Walk,Stoney Street far end.
Borough Market,Rochester Walk 2019, looking from Stoney Street.  X.png
Borough Market,Rochester Walk 2019, looking from Stoney Street.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:05 am

Borough Market, New Hibernia House in Winchester Street left.   X.png
Borough Market, New Hibernia House in Winchester Street left.
BOROUGH MARKET.   X.png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri May 15, 2020 9:46 pm

Borough Market Southwark c1907.  X.png
Borough Market Southwark c1907.
Three Crown Square now part of the Borough Market.   X..jpg
Three Crown Square (1900) now part of the Borough Market.
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:19 am

Borough Market, people buying fish on a stall in 2008.  X.png
Borough Market, people buying fish on a stall in 2008.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:40 pm

Borough Market, c1950.   X..png
Borough Market, c1950.

ducati dad

Postby ducati dad » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi Kiwi, seeing your pics of the bushel baskets stacked up in the market, took me back to my youth. My first job, on leaving school age 16, was with HM Customs based in Hibernia Wharf. One day I had to take some papers around to Pickfords Wharf and on getting to St Mary Overies dock, there was quite a commotion going on. I saw a docker that I knew. "Old Bill" and asked him what was todo. He told me to shinny up the wall of the dock and look over. This I did and nearly fell into the dock with surprise. The wholr length of the dock was boiling with thousands and thousands of eels. Porters and Dockers were using empty bushell basket with a length of rope tied to the handle to bail eels out onto the road.I think the idea was to get them down the any pie and eel shop in the vicinity to earn a couple of bob. Old Bill reckoned that somewhere on their journey the leaders had taken a wrong turn and came up the thames and into the dock. As he said "Take a good look son and remember it, because you will never see the like again". That was about 1957..

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:42 am

ducati dad wrote:Hi Kiwi, seeing your pics of the bushel baskets stacked up in the market, took me back to my youth. My first job, on leaving school age 16, was with HM Customs based in Hibernia Wharf. One day I had to take some papers around to Pickfords Wharf and on getting to St Mary Overies dock, there was quite a commotion going on. I saw a docker that I knew. "Old Bill" and asked him what was todo. He told me to shinny up the wall of the dock and look over. This I did and nearly fell into the dock with surprise. The wholr length of the dock was boiling with thousands and thousands of eels. Porters and Dockers were using empty bushell basket with a length of rope tied to the handle to bail eels out onto the road.I think the idea was to get them down the any pie and eel shop in the vicinity to earn a couple of bob. Old Bill reckoned that somewhere on their journey the leaders had taken a wrong turn and came up the thames and into the dock. As he said "Take a good look son and remember it, because you will never see the like again". That was about 1957..

Hi ducati dad, reading your story regarding Eels reminds me of a time back in the mid-60s. My brother Bob was living in the Swan Estate, Swan Road, Rotherhithe at the time and we would take my nephew Stephen fishing down in Kent, he was 6 or 7 at the time. Well, this day Bob and had I caught nothing, Stephen, even though we would nick is places and move him on would still catch fish, no matter where he was sitting, to say we were P-off, is putting it mildly. Well, when we got back to the Swan Estate, and Stephen was still alive, we jokingly said to him, drop your line down the drain Steve, and yes, you’ve guessed it, he caught a bloody Eel. I’m not sure we ever took him fishing again. :roll:

Return to “Buildings & Streets”