HILLINGDON STREET

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
Sean.Byrne

HILLINGDON STREET

Postby Sean.Byrne » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:49 pm

According to the records a flying bomb dropped at 04.10 hrs on 25th June 1944 outside The Freemasons Arms which stood on the corner of Hillingdon Street between Warham St and Farmers Road. 11 dead, 4 seriously injured, 24 slightly injured. Many houses were demolished and between 200 and 300 needing repairs. Countless London neighborhoods must have been impacted by the bombing and V1 and V2 rockets. I was amazed at the size of the V2 rocket when I visited the Imperial War Museum. Regardless of the one ton of explosives on board a vehicle that size and weight impacting at supersonic speed would have released a devastating amount of kinetic energy and shrapnel.

The 3 wheel vehicle below is electric. I think this one is delivering milk. When I was 12 I had a Saturday job on one of these delivering bread. The route operator was a good guy and treated me well. Drove around all day with the wonderful smell of fresh bread. In the pic the corner shop is a butcher and the news agent was F. Ragget
z1.jpg
Hillingdon Street by Heiron Street
z2.JPG
Hillingdon Stret by Peter Street pub is the Sir Robert Peel

z4.jpg
167 Hillingdon 1974
z5.jpg
24 Hillingdon 1974

Return to “Buildings & Streets”