Ilderton Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: Ilderton Road

Postby kiwi » Tue May 14, 2019 3:06 am

I thought this was two narrow for Ilderton Road??
Reliably informed that this is the vehicle that helped to extricate the bus stuck under the railway bridge in Hornshay Street 1968.
Ilderton Road near Hornshay Street in 1968.  X.jpg
Ilderton Road near Hornshay Street in 1968.
Hornshay Street,Ilderton Road 1968.  X.jpg
Hornshay Street,Ilderton Road 1968.
Last edited by kiwi on Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Ilderton Road South Bermondsey in 1987.   X.png
Ilderton Road, South Bermondsey in 1987

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 am

301 Idlerton Road, once Old Kent Road Ambulance Station
You could be forgiven for walking past this building every day and never noticing it, but this small garage, built in 1927, served its community through the Second World War and up until the 1960s but has been largely forgotten and has no memorial plaque commemorating its role or workers.
The architect, G Topham Forrest, was London County Council’s Chief Architect in the early 1900s. Many of his buildings are now Grade listed but he is perhaps best known as one of the designers of two Thames Bridges – and for creating some of the country’s first ever cul-de-sac roads in the garden city movement of the early 20th Century.
The only thing you can say is that it is still there, if only these buildings could talk ;)
Ilderton Road, Old Kent Road Ambulance Station, in its heyday.   X.png
Ilderton Road, Old Kent Road Ambulance Station, in its heyday.
Ilderton Road, Ambulance Station, 2019. Hornsay Street left.  X.png
Ilderton Road, Ambulance Station, 2019. Hornshay Street left.
Ilderton Road Ambulance Station, an ambulance emerges from the garage,c1929.  X.png
C1929.>>>>>>>>>
Ilderton Road with Hornshay Street left c1962. Old Ambulance station on the corner.  X.png
Ilderton Road with Hornshay Street left c1962. Old Ambulance station on the corner.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:30 am

Ilderton Road School 1950. Is this the school that was where the Canterbury Industrial Estate is today, near Hornshay Street. :?:
Ilderton Road,Old Kent Road  1950..png

Now know this to be on the corner of Ilderton Road and Old Kent Road (right), Wagner Street to the left.
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBarnaby

The Barnaby Pub

Postby TheBarnaby » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:17 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to get hold of any pictures that show The Barnaby back in the days before it closed down (Ideally during the time that it was named The Barnaby). Sadly all the pictures online seem to be after it's abandoned and boarded up.

Does anybody have any old photos of the pub?

Thanks in advance!

CharlotteD

Postby CharlotteD » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi all, I’m looking for photographs of 47 Ilderton Road from the 40’s or 50’s can anyone assist? Sadly it’s not there anymore.

CharlotteD

Postby CharlotteD » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:46 pm

kiwi wrote:Ilderton Road School 1950. Is this the school that was where the Canterbury Industrial Estate is today, near Hornshay Street. :?:
Ilderton Road,Old Kent Road 1950..png

Why is there so little left of Ilderton Road today? So sad....

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:43 am

kiwi wrote:Ilderton Road School 1950. Is this the school that was where the Canterbury Industrial Estate is today, near Hornshay Street. :?:
Ilderton Road,Old Kent Road 1950..png

Hi Kiwi,

Hope you're keeping well!
I've been pondering over the image of Canterbury/Ilderton road school for a while and I'm hoping you can answer a few questions...
The road sign on the corner of the partially demolished building says Ilderton road and on the far right of the image you can see a railway bridge, therefore, can we assume that the photo was taken from a point opposite Hornshay street?
In which case, the school is on the site now occupied by the Canterbury Industrial Estate.
Now this is where I'm a bit confused...
On the far left of the image, there appears to be a street running down the side of the school, with houses on the opposite side.
Now this would seem to be opposite Manor Grove... I don't remember a road being there?
My earliest memories of that area is of a lorry/haulage firm being on that site and a derelict double fronted house being opposite Manor Grove and Chapman's sweet factory.
If there was a street there, do you have any details? This would be between Hornshay and Sharratt street... Can you shed some light?

Cheers,

Brian.
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:01 am

Hi Brian, all the best to you and the family for 2021. I had to smile when I saw your post, as like you I could not remember any street being there, so thought post it and Brian will tell me , now we are both confused. I have looked at several maps and none show a street there but and this is only my opinion, opposite Manor Grove I think there was an alley which took you through to the Leather Japanning Works (maybe the building in the picture) and possibly the Jam, Pickle & Sauce Works , could this be that alley??
Cheers Ray.

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:56 pm

kiwi wrote:Hi Brian, all the best to you and the family for 2021. I had to smile when I saw your post, as like you I could not remember any street being there, so thought post it and Brian will tell me , now we are both confused. I have looked at several maps and none show a street there but and this is only my opinion, opposite Manor Grove I think there was an alley which took you through to the Leather Japanning Works (maybe the building in the picture) and possibly the Jam, Pickle & Sauce Works , could this be that alley??
Cheers Ray.

Hi Ray,

A Very Happy New Year to you and family too.
Unfortunately, confusion has taken another rung up the ladder!
After finding an image of Canterbury Road school on London Picture Archive, it seems to bear no resemblance to the previous image, despite the partial demolition!
If you look at the window openings along the front of the two images, they definitely don’t match up.
If the London Picture Archive image is correct, It would point to the other image as being somewhere else... it would also explain the ‘phantom’ street!
Image attached.
BAA08650-6A9B-43FE-AD58-03CD5A2BF188.jpeg

Brian.
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

Return to “Buildings & Streets”