Grange Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Grange Road

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Grange Road - Bermondsey Baths Picture from forum

Opened on 24 September 1927 to replace the Victorian Baths in Spa Road and closed in 1973 because of structual defects

So what is the building now on this site can anyone tell us?
5a6a319813b28e0b19555a5f1f38e61042f60089.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Posted by rstupple

Grange Road - Bermondsey Baths Picture from forum
Opened on 24 September 1927 to replace the Victorian Baths in Spa Road and closed in 1973 because of structual defects
So what is the building now on this site can anyone tell us?

-fosney

Hi Joe every time I see pics of the baths brings back memories. Ilived in Spa Road in the what was called the New Neckinger. Remember learning to swim in the baths in a pair of knitted trucks, I have no doubt everybody of a certain age remembers them. Coming out of the water with the crutch hanging around the knees great times.
Rick

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Grange Road

St lukes Church built in 1884 and demolished in 1965 there are no longer any signs of the church and ground is now part of the Boucher School grounds
0683f0c25f403faf76a033c0ea9d46bf3629f40f.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Posted by rstupple2

Grange Road
St lukes Church built in 1884 and demolished in 1965 there are no longer any signs of the church and ground is now part of the Boucher School grounds

-fosney

Hi Joe again great photos, this one brings back a lot of happy memories. I went to the Old Bacon school in Grange Road which was all Boys. For school dinners we had to go to Boucher School for diners which was at the time all girls in the late fifties. Need I say any more LOL great times.

Rick

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:30 am

Posted by freebird190

Grange Road - The Solarium
When I was a child the Bermondsey Health Centre was known as the Solarium.
Opened in 1929 it was the first health centre of its kind in the UK and had a Solarium on the roof.
The front glass corners to the right of the building is where the dentist used to practice. I remember in the 1960s the Health Centre treated the population on mass with Polio jabs
Have you any experiences about visiting this building?

Yes Fosney, your brilliant pic of the Solarium certainly brought back memories of terrifying trips there to the dentist to have some teeth out with 'gas'. That big black rubber thing they placed over your mouth and nose smelt vile and I can still recall that feeling of everything going hazy and distant till you went under. Later I went to Dobson's further up the road that a few people have mentioned, but apart from not having the gas mask I don't remember him being much better, and I don't think he was very keen on kids, especially ones that were already scared witless!

I can also remember the old coloured mosaic flooring in the Solarium that seemed to be in every building, and which I happened to see in an old part of Guy's Hospital recently, and even that glimpse of the old days brought some good memories flooding back, especially of my girls being born in Guy's in the 70s.

Fosney, I can't thank you enough for creating this site for us all - it's so great to see the old pictures, and as many have said, it suddenly jogs another bit of memory. My daughter is also hooked and become a member too.

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 am

Posted by Bermondseylady

I remember going to the Solarium for my glasses when I was a kid. I always thought it was a bit grim, I never had to have my teeth out there but I used to sit in the hall where we had to wait for our opticians appointment and think how dark it was, the windows had all foliage and I think some low buildings with a tin roof outside. The rather eccentric lady who used to do the eye tests had a monocle, never seen a lady with a monocle since. She used to put drops in my eyes that blurred my vision for ages! In the end I had to have those old national health specs, the one with the wire arms onthe frames, round lenses, they looked awful and felt worse! Looking back I am grateful for what we got, but if only those glasses had not pinched and hurt so much behind my ears!

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 am

Grange Road

For those that lived in Grange Road and Southwark Park Road

Lets go back again to page 14 and the B Young & Co factory we have an advert from the 1930s with the quality products they manufactured but for those that lived local that did not include the Smell,
1670b40eedf0cfdb43efc1a954e6344dfa37d0f8.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Grange Road- Boutcher School

An illustration from The Illustrated London News of 1872, showing the then St Mary Magdallen School, Grange Road.

Later called the Boutcher School, it was built in 1871 by William Boutcher, a local tanner in memory of his late wife Elizabeth. The School was established to provide a Christian environment for the children of the community.

St Luke's Church, built in 1884 was to the front and side of the School Entrance, it was demolished in 1965 and the Church grounds are now part of the School.

heinkeGrangeRoad.jpg

boutcherplaqueDSC_0832.jpg

BoucherSchool2.jpg

BoucherSchool.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am

Grange Road- Heinke Factory

For those of us like lawrence123 who can remember the C E Heinke factory in Grange Road with the Diving Helmet over the building.

Siebe Gorman took over C E Heinke in 1961 and eventually the name Heinke was dropped and then completely disapeared

Cant find any pictures of the works in Grange Road as yet only what we see next to the church but have found a picture of the products and the address in Grange Road to prove the existance
divers-wearing-c-e-heinke-cos-diving-apparatus-1900s_360375908720.jpg
Heinke-postcard_dih1.jpg
Last edited by fosney on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:28 am

Grange Road

Close up of the Heinke Factory in Grange Road we can just make out the name on the front of the building and the diving helmet just visable near the top. Now all Bermondsey History
heinkeGrangeRoad.jpg

Return to “Buildings & Streets”