Sharp's of Pages Walk, Bermondsey

Family, Friends, People you may know
4Sharp

Sharp's of Pages Walk, Bermondsey

Postby 4Sharp » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Hello, I am researching some family history. My Great Grandfather Henry Baylis (Bailis) Sharp lived with his wife Alice at 41 Pages Walk, died 1955. We were told a lot of stories about how he ran a transport business, started out with horses, moved on to Morris vans (apparently one of the first to do so). The stables were not on the corner of Willow Walk (opposite Victoria pub). We know there were stables on that corner along with the old Brickworks site, but it definitely was not there. His stables must have been somewhere else, we assume on Pages Walk, could they have been next to 41?? Or nearby? Date wise I think it would be sometime around 1900 to 1940's. Henry Baylis Sharp we are told was very skilled with horses, even, operated on them we were told. Something happened according to my Grandad (Edwin). We don't really know what, some rumours circulate. It may be just a bunch of stories that got muddled up. I've joined the Bermondsey History society on FB and have had some people contact me, I've also found a fair bit of information on Ancestry. Planning to get onto some libraries to do some searches.

It's always worth a punt, so if anyone has any connections, then by all means drop me a line.

PS: Sir Tommy Steele lived on Pages Walk for a while, he recalls stables on the road he grew up, in his biography. Wondered if they were my Great Grandad's, nice to think they might have been.

Return to “Bermondsey People”