Aylwin School, history

A little bit about yourself growing up in Bermondsey
Primrose

Aylwin School, history

Postby Primrose » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:55 am

I was just listening to a food programme advising someone not to open or eat from a 30 year old tin. I was a pupil at Aylwin School in the late 50s, early 60s and remember a history teacher calling us all into playground one morning, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Scott reaching the South Pole. She proudly produced a 50 year old tin of corned beef, which had been produced nearby, it was opened and cut into tiny pieces for us all to try. The can was from the same batch that had gone to the Antarctic with Scott´s expedition. We all ate the corned beef and fortunately all survived the tasting!

June Bell

Re: Aylwin School, history

Postby June Bell » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:33 pm

I went to the Aylwin school in 1943 after passing the scholarship unfortunately I couldn’t finish my education there due to the bombing of the V1 and then the rockets of the V2. Was seven when war started. Looking back on those years have brought many memories back to me. I hope I will be able to relate more stories about Bermondsey as I was a Bermondsey Girl.

kiwi

Re: Aylwin School, history

Postby kiwi » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:55 pm

June Bell wrote:I went to the Aylwin school in 1943 after passing the scholarship unfortunately I couldn’t finish my education there due to the bombing of the V1 and then the rockets of the V2. Was seven when war started. Looking back on those years have brought many memories back to me. I hope I will be able to relate more stories about Bermondsey as I was a Bermondsey Girl.

Hi June Bell, welcome to the site and thank you for your post. Nice to see the site brought back some memories to you, for me this is what this site is all about. Looking forward to more stories about Bermondsey from you and June you will always be a Bermondsey girl. :) ;)
Kiwi (Ray).

Return to “Member's Short Stories”