DO YOU REMEMBER THESE?

General Stuff about Bermondsey thats not listed
kiwi

Re: DO YOU REMEMBER THESE?

Postby kiwi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:06 am

I can still see my mum even now testing the temperature of the flat iron. My mum heated the irons either on the stove or if there was a fire in the range then on there. I still have one of these irons.
I can still see my mum even now testing the temperature of the flat iron. My mum heated the irons either on the stove or if there was a fire in the range then on there. I still have one of these irons.png

nuttyboy pat

Postby nuttyboy pat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 am

H20253-L114360277.jpg
Johnny Seven Gun

Back in the 60's, this was the must have toy for xmas! All I ever wanted was a 'Johnny Seven Gun' (the seven meant that the gun fired seven projectiles). After a lot of nagging, my parents eventually got me one. One of my friends, who lived opposite our block in Abbey Buildings, also got one from his mum and dad! We had great fun firing all the missiles and bullets at each other from our balcony's, across a gap of about 20 - 30 yards. When we ran out of ammo we had to rush down stairs to the yard to retrieve all our projectiles laying all around on the ground, run back up, reload and resume the fire fight! This could last all day long and invariably did. In my days the Johnny Seven cost about £5, quite a lot in the 60's, they are now fetching between £150 - £300 on eBay!
Happy days :) :) :)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:23 pm

I can remember dipping the blotting paper into the ink well and shooting them around the classroom with a rubber band, (1950s).The best part was shooting then onto the ceiling above the teachers desk and when they dried out they would fall down on his head, I still think it’s funny. :lol:
Those were the days.  X.png
Those were the days.
Ink wells, usually found in old school desks.  X.jpg
Ink wells, usually found in old school desks.

nuttyboy pat

Postby nuttyboy pat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:57 pm

British-Railways-Ticket-Punch-Nlippers.jpg
British Railway ticket hole punch
M192.jpg
Cardboard tickets!

s-l500.jpg
Old Roadside Parafin Lamps

We use to help ourselves to a few of these near some roadworks, rascals I know, and take them to our hideaway den in an old disused factory. It was great fun at night times!

1969_Raleigh_Chopper.jpg
The Chopper Bike
Yet another must have toy when we were young! This was my pride and joy when I was a nipper but one day some low life nicked it, I was devastated. There was a bit of a rumour going around on our estate in Abbey Buildings that the resident caretaker was nicking all the bikes, scooters etc that were left unattended and storing them in his shed which was on the estate grounds. We tried as hard as we could to get a peek inside his shed but it was built like Fort Knox!!!!
Never ever found out who nicked it though :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sean.Byrne

Postby Sean.Byrne » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:34 am

I remember getting one of these for Christmas in 1954. I thought there was something special about the brand Tri-Ang it was pure magic

ZZZ YYY.jpg
Last edited by Sean.Byrne on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean.Byrne

Postby Sean.Byrne » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:41 am

These are alien to our millennials

pen 1.png
ZZZ YYY.jpg
Last edited by Sean.Byrne on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean.Byrne

Postby Sean.Byrne » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:45 am

Begginton wrote:We played a similar game to jacks, with little cubes of what looked like colours, ridges chalk, called aligobs. Not sure of spelling as never seen it in writing.
Kiwi.

I played Aligobs all the time. Wow, what a memory

ZZZ YYY.jpg

Sean.Byrne

Postby Sean.Byrne » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:49 am

This is how math worked before computers

XXX ZZZ.jpg
ZZZ YYY.jpg

Sean.Byrne

Postby Sean.Byrne » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:06 am

Good old washing board.

pen 1.png

Sean.Byrne

Postby Sean.Byrne » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:16 am

I had a variant on knock down ginger. I grew up on a very narrow street (Riddell). I would take Mom's clothesline and tie it to a neighbor's door knocker and then string it across the road to the house opposite and tie it to their knocker. Then knock and both and run like hell. Neither neighbor could get there door open!! Everyone was mad as hell at me including Mom who lost a couple of clotheslines like this.

pen 1.png
Last edited by Sean.Byrne on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Postings”