Old Years Night

General Stuff about Bermondsey thats not listed
Duberry Sue

Old Years Night

Postby Duberry Sue » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:17 pm

Hi. I'm new to this sight and must say I've really enjoyed the content I've seen so far. I am proud to say that I am a Bermondsey girl, from Bermondsey parents, grand-parents and great grand-parents. I'd really like to know the answer to my question, if anyone can. I grew up knowing/calling New Year's Eve.....as Old Year's Night. However, nobody outside of my family (and that's only me now} call's it Old Year's Night. I hope I'm not the only one. Was is my family's name for it or is/was it a Bermondsey/London thing?

kiwi

Re: Old Years Night

Postby kiwi » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:47 pm

Duberry Sue wrote:Hi. I'm new to this sight and must say I've really enjoyed the content I've seen so far. I am proud to say that I am a Bermondsey girl, from Bermondsey parents, grand-parents and great grand-parents. I'd really like to know the answer to my question, if anyone can. I grew up knowing/calling New Year's Eve.....as Old Year's Night. However, nobody outside of my family (and that's only me now} call's it Old Year's Night. I hope I'm not the only one. Was is my family's name for it or is/was it a Bermondsey/London thing?

Hi Duberry Sue, welcome to the site. Being a Bermondsey boy (old boy now) the only time I have heard the saying Old Years Night for New Years Eve in Bermondsey was when I was working in Rouel Road for Beaches, late 50s early 60s. There was a smashing old Jamaican man working on the loading bay I use to call Old Ben, boy can I remember that smile. He called it Old Years Night and said that a few places in the Caribbean did the same. Which begs the question did your ancestors have connections with the Caribbean or France (Duberry) as the French did had have a lot of influence in the Caribbean way back? I had also heard this saying a few years earlier in Scotland, again by older Scottish people, this was before I knew my ancestors were from Scotland. Not sure if this will be of any help to you, but it would be good to know.
Just to add there was/is a Pagan Carnival in October called Old Years Night, which might be useful or just another bit of useless information. :)

Duberry Sue

Re: Old Years Night

Postby Duberry Sue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:48 pm

Thanks for your info. Kiwi. I don't believe my family has any connections with Jamaica (Country, not Road). Perhaps it was a family thing then. I must say, I much prefer Old Year's Night as it's the last night of the old year, which also evokes memories of times gone by. Sentimental I know, but lovely. Also think that the tune we all sing on that night... Auld Lang Syne.... Is to do with times past and I get a lump in my throat everytime I sing it. I wish more people used it. Thanks again Kiwi. And no. No connection with France. Duberry was my nickname.

Return to “General Postings”