Tracing Bermondsey gran roots

General Stuff about Bermondsey thats not listed
Bermondseyroots1888

Tracing Bermondsey gran roots

Postby Bermondseyroots1888 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:53 pm

Hi Folks
Coming down to London to trace grandmothers roots.
She was born in103 Alderminster road in 1888 and stayed in 103 Kinglake st in 1895.
Can I expect to see any original buildings around these areas, as I want to walk in her footsteps?
I case ther are any family looking in , she had a lovely named sister Minnie Glover.
I’m sure there are lots of them kicking around.
Thanks all for any help and I look forward to visiting your area.

Fogbrain

Re: Tracing Bermondsey gran roots

Postby Fogbrain » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:34 pm

Bermondseyroots1888 wrote:Can I expect to see any original buildings around these areas?
Hi, Bermondseyroots1888.

You're too late to see Alderminster Road - the last bit vanished maybe 20 or 30 years ago. In fact the stretch of Alderminster Road where 103 was - between Dunton Road and Welsford Street - was completely built over very soon after your grandmother was born, for a massive expansion of the Bricklayer's Arms goods depot site, which could be why she was no longer there in 1895. The houses were about 20 years old when they were demolished. The north wall of the old depot still stands on the south side of Lynton Road as far as opposite Balaclava Road. 103 Alderminster Road was probably similar to the houses on the north side of Lynton Road between Alma Grove and Reverdy Road.

There are no houses left in Kinglake Street. 103 was three doors to the left of the Londis shop on the corner with Bagshott Street, which in those days was the Prince & Princess of Wales pub - you can see where the pub name was at second floor level. There are some old houses in Bagshot Street just past the Londis, but 103 Kinglake Street was even older and smaller than those; it was probably like the ones in Bagshot Street with the 'London' rooves in this photo:
https://www.londonpicturearchive.org.uk ... m?i=117784

I wonder which school your grandmother attended. I think Mina Road School would have been the nearest to Kinglake Street, which is now the Walworth Academy. The old building dates from 1904 - the original older building was to the left of it and was demolished to make way for the modern building.

If you're not already a member, ESFHS may be a useful resource.
https://www.eastsurreyfhs.org.uk/index.php

Bermondseyroots1888

Postby Bermondseyroots1888 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:08 am

Hi Fogbrain
Thanks for the information, it’s been a great help.
Also the links are invaluable to me building up her story.
I have found an old London School board document that states her previous school was
Millington or Shillington st.
It doesn’t state which school she was attending on document , but you are correct with linking her her to Mina .
I have the cover of a bible awarded to her in 1900 when attending Mina Rooms.
Will also be visiting Chelsham rd where she worked in service in 1911.
The houses are still there and I have the number, so a walk past is a must.
The sad part is she married in 1912 and Chelsham rd is on their marriage certificate.
they moved up to GLasgow where Mary their daughter was born in 1913.
In dec1915 Jimmy died Aged 28 and Mary died 3months later aged 2.
Mary is buried in Glasgow , and that is why my Gran didn’t move back to London.
They were both reunited in 1970.
My gran remarried to my grandfather ,and my dad always stuck up for Londoners through her .
And I’m hitting 70 and the wonders of the internet and your invaluable help, I can walk in ancestors footsteps.
So if you see an old Scotsman with a smile and a tear in his eye in Bermondsey , you’ll know who it is.
Thanks again

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:02 pm

With Shillington Street School you're a bit more lucky. Shillington Street has long gone but the school survives - the same building that your grandmother would have known - and is now apartments. The address is now 181 Este Road but a shiny new plaque at the front says "181. Shillington Road School". I saw the building every day from the train for nineteen years on my commute.

Nice big old houses in Chelsham Road. №s 39-47 (odds) and 74 were lost to enemy action during WWII, so hopefully it was at one of the others - all of which survive - that your grandmother was in service.

"Mina Rooms" suggests to me some sort of Sunday school, but there was no Sunday school building in Mina Road of which I am aware. The fact that it says "rooms" suggests rooms used in some other building - possibly the board school, but maybe someone's home. The bible award wasn't signed by Mrs Lucinda Sayers by any chance?

What was your grandmother's name?

I'm unlikely to see you when you visit Bermondsey as I haven't lived there since 1972. But I'm not far away, so if you warn us when you're coming I'd happy to meet up for a wee .... pint (well, this is Bermondsey!).

Sadly, you're too late to see the Soviet T34 tank that has been sitting about 100 yards away from your grandmother's birthplace for many years, as it was removed in January (maybe the Russians wanted it back for some reason).
https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/st ... storation/

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:21 pm

Bermondseyroots1888 wrote:Hi Folks
Coming down to London to trace grandmothers roots.
She was born in103 Alderminster road in 1888 and stayed in 103 Kinglake st in 1895.
Can I expect to see any original buildings around these areas, as I want to walk in her footsteps?
I case ther are any family looking in , she had a lovely named sister Minnie Glover.
I’m sure there are lots of them kicking around.
Thanks all for any help and I look forward to visiting your area.

Hi, Bermondseyroots1888.
Welcome to the site, not sure if you have found them but just in case there is a Kinglake Street, Alderminster Road and Mina Road Topics on site. In Kinglake Street there are some old houses, c1930, a bit later than 1895 but it might give you some idea to what it looked like in those places, hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Bermondseyroots1888

Postby Bermondseyroots1888 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:45 am

Hi Kiwi
Thanks for taking time to contact me.
I’ve had great help from this site and PMs.
It has made this upcoming trip far more knowledgeable
Top marks to you guys, you have a great site and I’m enjoying reading through the topics.
Thanks again

Return to “General Postings”