Any info on this gratefully recieved...

General Stuff about Bermondsey thats not listed
The Ship Aground

Any info on this gratefully recieved...

Postby The Ship Aground » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:14 pm

Great Grandma and Catharine Madden.jpeg
Great Grandma and Catharine Madden

My great grandparents and my grandparents all resided in Bermondsey, I have visited and walked the streets where they lived and worked many times but there seems to be very few photos or records these old places. On the 1891 Census they are living in Barnham Street Buildings, No.1 Block (Now the site of Southwark Council). Booth mentions these places in his notes as housing 'some of the noisiest and worst paying tenants in London, mainly London Irish and very poor and chronic want.' So not that good really. The other streets that I'd like info on are Virginia Row (now part of the Dickens Estate), No.6 is where my great grandfather died in 1899, in pretty awful circumstances, and Loftie Street where my great grandmother died in 1916. I find it so sad they had such a hard and grim life but would like to know as much as possible about those particular streets. I'll include a couple of photos, one of my Great Grandfather and one of my Great Grandmother hopping in Kent. Many thanks for your interest.

John_Madden Portrait.jpeg
Great Grandfather John Madden

Return to “General Postings”