South London Press Archives

General Stuff about Bermondsey thats not listed
Ged

South London Press Archives

Postby Ged » Tue May 26, 2020 7:26 am

Hi there brilliant page so many fantastic memories and photos

I am researching my grandfather’s past and would like to search from the 1960’s archives .

Other than the Southwark archives which is currently closed are these available online to view ?

I can’t seem to find them on the British Newspaper Archive page other than a voting page for the paper

https://help-and-advice.britishnewspape ... don-papers

Thanks for any help most appreciated

Vreagh

Re: South London Press Archives

Postby Vreagh » Tue May 26, 2020 7:50 am

According to google ; there are 23210 pages and 37 yrs at www.britishnewspaperanchive.co.uk

iwilson

Re: South London Press Archives

Postby iwilson » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:42 am

The area was also served by the Bermondsey and Southwark recorder (or was it the Southwark and Bermondsey Recorder) which is on micro-film at the British Library in Euston Road. The B&SR was published weekly (Friday) and for historical sociological research purposes has good coverage of the Courts, the Great War (casualties and local military activity) and all the usual advertisements and In Memoriam etc. If you're not a reader you can get a ticket at the BL with two bits of ID (Credit or Debit card and a Driving License) will do. All the other local papers are there too and available one year at a time, maximum 5 years. You can explore the catalogue without a card.

Covid restrictions are in place so that once you've got your ticket you will have to book a seat before you can reserve any newspapers,

Ian

Return to “General Postings”