Shad Thames

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
Fogbrain

Re: Shad Thames

Postby Fogbrain » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:04 am

kiwi wrote:Bovill & Sons (above) was actually in Coles Lower Wharf, left of Newell's Wharf which is left of the stairs.
They were in Cole's Lower Wharf, but Sean's photo shows them to also be in Newell's Wharf. They were corn merchants and factors. Newell's Wharf was in Shad Thames - but the photographer was standing in New Square!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:01 pm

They were in Cole's Lower Wharf, but Sean's photo shows them to also be in Newell's Wharf. They were corn merchants and factors. Newell's Wharf was in Shad Thames - but the photographer was standing in New Square!

According to the Trades’ Directory, Bovill & Sons was only in Coles Lower Wharf.
“Bovill & Sons, 50 Mark lane EC, Coles Lower wharf, Shad Thames SE & 3 Corn Exchange EC.”

Looking at Seans picture the photographer could be standing in Shad Thames looking down New Square, as Sean states. “1906 Bovill and Sons premises on New Square”, which would then make it Coles Lower Wharf and not Newell’s Wharf.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 am

kiwi wrote:

According to the Trades’ Directory, Bovill & Sons was only in Coles Lower Wharf.
“Bovill & Sons, 50 Mark lane EC, Coles Lower wharf, Shad Thames SE & 3 Corn Exchange EC.”

Looking at Seans picture the photographer could be standing in Shad Thames looking down New Square, as Sean states. “1906 Bovill and Sons premises on New Square”, which would then make it Coles Lower Wharf and not Newell’s Wharf.
This is the frontage of Cole's Lower Wharf onto New Square (taken from the demolition site of Gibson's Court looking across the site of Morris Court), probably taken on the same day as the picture Sean posted and by the same photographer. You can see a bit of Newell's Wharf - № 30 Shad Thames - through the gap on the left; it matches the building in the Sean's picture - including the streetlamp.
Untitled.png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:07 am

Fogbrain wrote:
kiwi wrote:

This is the frontage of Cole's Lower Wharf onto New Square (taken from the demolition site of Gibson's Court looking across the site of Morris Court), probably taken on the same day as the picture Sean posted and by the same photographer. You can see a bit of Newell's Wharf - № 30 Shad Thames - through the gap on the left; it matches the building in the Sean's picture - including the streetlamp.Untitled.png

I would take this up with the Trades Directory :roll: Kiwi.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:34 am

[/quote]I would take this up with the Trades Directory :roll: Kiwi.[/quote]
:) I'll get right on it.

It is strange that neither the 1899 nor the 1910 edition lists Newell's wharf, but the 1910 edition shows Bovills' occupying both the south (№ 27) and the north (№ 28) parts of Cole's Lower Wharf on Shad Thames.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:57 pm

In c1900 on the left was Bengal Wharf, and on the other corner of Gainsford Street was Fogg’s Wharf.
Shad Thames, junction with Gainsford Street. (left), 1981. Pic 1.  X..png
Shad Thames, junction with Gainsford Street. (left), 1981.
Shad Thames 2020, same location as Pic 1.   X.png
Shad Thames, same location 2020.

SHAD THAMES.   X..png
SHAD THAMES.
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ducati dad

Postby ducati dad » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 pm

kiwi wrote:Pictures taken from Tooley Street.
SHAD THAMES,corner with Tooley Street 1 X.jpgShad Thames corner with Shad Thames 2018, same location as picture 1 X.png
Shad Thames left 1976. Jamaica Wharf & Dockhead Wharf were along the left-hand side. X.pngShad Thames from Tooley Street 2019,same location as the 1976 picture. X.png
In the 1930s, Kalmars was Lime Wharf then down the right side Rich Mill, Dockhead Wharf, Shuters Wharf and St Georges Wharf.
Shad Thames, Bermondsey, No 2 Wharf, c1980s. X.png

The shot with the dray parked up bought back memories, It's a six ton Bedford TK that the company updated the fleet from the old Dennis lorries. The crew was probably in a café to the left [just out of shot] called Friedas. I think she was of Italian descent and made the most wonderful Spagbol. I worked for Courage for 21 years, first as a Drayman and then as a driver. Great times.. On the subject of Butlers, one of my sisters worked in the office for a number of years in the grinding mill.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:51 am

ducati dad wrote:
kiwi wrote:Pictures taken from Tooley Street.
SHAD THAMES,corner with Tooley Street 1 X.jpgShad Thames corner with Shad Thames 2018, same location as picture 1 X.png
Shad Thames left 1976. Jamaica Wharf & Dockhead Wharf were along the left-hand side. X.pngShad Thames from Tooley Street 2019,same location as the 1976 picture. X.png
In the 1930s, Kalmars was Lime Wharf then down the right side Rich Mill, Dockhead Wharf, Shuters Wharf and St Georges Wharf.
Shad Thames, Bermondsey, No 2 Wharf, c1980s. X.png

The shot with the dray parked up bought back memories, It's a six ton Bedford TK that the company updated the fleet from the old Dennis lorries. The crew was probably in a café to the left [just out of shot] called Friedas. I think she was of Italian descent and made the most wonderful Spagbol. I worked for Courage for 21 years, first as a Drayman and then as a driver. Great times.. On the subject of Butlers, one of my sisters worked in the office for a number of years in the grinding mill.

Hi ducati dad, just wondering if you knew my Brother-in-Law, George Hazell. He worked at Courage for quite a few years either as a Driver or Drayman. If my memory serves me right from the 1960s onwards. Kiwi.

ducati dad

Postby ducati dad » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi Kiwi, I remember George at Park St depot on Southwark Bridge. I started there as a Drayman, worked there for a few years and then transferred to Horselydown, Tower Bridge. At that time there were two delivery fleets, the bottle fleet ran out of Park St and the draught fleet ran out of Horselydown. As far as I can remember, George stayed at Park St until they closed both depots down and split us into four depots. Bermondsey, Nine Elms, Tottenham and the fourth one at Croydon way. I think George went to the Bermondsey depot in Galleywall road and I went to Nine Elms.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:24 am

Ray’s Steam Coal Wharf, was roughly behind the Tea Trade Wharf (Butlers Wharf).
SHAD THAMES, c1910.   X. (2).png
C1910.
Shad Thames, c1910, this was roughly behind the Tea Trade Wharf (Butlers Wharf).   X..png
Shad Thames, Butlers Wharf.  1  X..png

Shad Thames 2020. Butlers Wharf now, Housing, offices, restaurants, shops. X..png
Shad Thames 2020. Butlers Wharf now, Housing, offices, restaurants, shops.
Shad Thames,Butlers Wharf, apartment interior 2020.   X..png
Shad Thames,Butlers Wharf, apartment interior 2020.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”