Parkers Row

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Parkers Row

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:46 am

Posted by bermonseygal

Nice one Joe!

Thank you for posting the pic of Christ Church...I can now remember the actual location of the church now I've seen both pics.

Cheers

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Posted by esther

I remember Jacob's very well it was bombed during the war round the back
as kids we always looked to see if anything was worth having 'so we had a number of biscuit tin lids with the biscuits inside .(don't ask why) it was taken over by Marshall's round about 1943 I worked there,they made junkets all sorts of powdered stuff,also we did some packaging for the prisoner,of war food parcels.us girls used to put our names and addresses inside I did hear from one chap in offlag stalag I never forgot his name driver fletcher.

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 am

Posted by Kathy

The nice watercolour of Folly Ditch (next to Jacobs Island) would appear to be in the Museum of London - it appears on the Pictures of Bermondsey and Rotherhithe site see here. I think it's genuine, or perhaps the Museum of London consider it to be genuine. Howard Somerville has used it on his Jacobs Island webpage. The original is apparently by J L Stewart. Somerville dates it to c. 1840, Victorian/Edwardian Paintings from goldenage blogspot places it in 1870.

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 am

Posted by 1675whm

Thanks for the picture of Parkers Row, fosney. My Great Grandparents were living there when they were married in 1885 at 'Christ Church, Bermondsey', which was also on Parkers Row. Does anyone remember this CofE church?

When I first obtained their Marriage Cert, I went hunting for 'Christ Church, Bermondsey' and found what I thought was it - the church on Old Kent Road between Ruby and Hyndman Streets, but it turns out that I was wrong. The correct church, on Parkers Row, was built in 1848 and torn down in 1966.

Anybody remember it?

And while I'm at it, I've just noticed your photos of Lant Street, too. My Great Grandfather had a sister named Louisa who married at Saint Michael and All Angels Church in Lant Street in 1888. Her husband, Fred, was a costermonger who grew up on Barons Place.

Thanks again, fosney. Your pictures make me feel a little closer to my GG Parents and my Great Aunt Louisa.

Kind regards from the USA.

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:23 am

Posted by bermondseygal

Thanks for the picture of Parkers Row, fosney. My Great Grandparents were living there when they were married in 1885 at 'Christ Church, Bermondsey', which was also on Parkers Row. Does anyone remember this CofE church?When I first obtained their Marriage Cert, I went hunting for 'Christ Church, Bermondsey' and found what I thought was it - the church on Old Kent Road between Ruby and Hyndman Streets, but it turns out that I was wrong. The correct church, on Parkers Row, was built in 1848 and torn down in 1966.Anybody remember it?And while I'm at it, I've just noticed your photos of Lant Street, too. My Great Grandfather had a sister named Louisa who married at Saint Michael and All Angels Church in Lant Street in 1888. Her husband, Fred, was a costermonger who grew up on Barons Place. Thanks again, fosney. Your pictures make me feel a little closer to my GG Parents and my Great Aunt Louisa.Kind regards from the USA.

-1675whm

Hi 1675whm!

I remember Christ Church on Parkers Row very well!
My grandmother lived near CC and as kids the old church used to creep us out!
As a kid in the 1960's I used to attend the girl's branch of the C.U.M (Cambridge University Mission) on Old Jamaica Road and when Christ Church was derelict the club leaders took us over
to the church and we played netball in in the main part of the church where the pews once stood.
I remember Christ Church...especially derelict..as a very creepy place!

Kind regards

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:32 pm

11 8:10 AM

Holy Trinity Church Parkers Row

On the 2nd March 1945 the Church and Presbytery were destroyed by a V2 Rocket.
Extract from the Bermondsey Official Guide 1937.
"At the north-western corner of Parker's Row (between Dockhead and Abbey Street) is the Roman Catholic Church of the Most Holy Trinity, a brick-built structure in the Early Pointed style of Gothic architecture, erected from designsby Pugin, and opened in 1835. The site - originally a tan-yard - was given by the Baroness Montesquieu, who at the same time bought and furnished an adjoining house. In 1936 was added the Momorial Chapel to Canon Edward Murrane, Parish Priest from 1896-1927. Next to the church is the Convent of the Sisters of Mercy, founded in 1839, the first of its kind established in London. The first four Catholic Schools of the parish provide accommodation for 1,500 children. The Senior Boys' School was rebuilt and enlarged in 1932 at a cost of over £20,000. In 1933 part of the building was set apart as a Selectve Central School and recognized by the Board of Education. "

Much discussion has arisen concerning the claims of Pugin to the credit of having designed the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, but it is said that Pugin had an input into its Gothic interiors.
e09dc3c75a70ac00600e297ffacf282f061f816c.jpg

f6bee58ae51c16ec4430003f270fa47c0c0e0f37(2).jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:49 am

Christ Church Parkers Row

Engraving from the Illustrated London News of 1849 showing the Church and Sunday School in Parkers Row.
The Church stood on the corner of Parkers Row, Abbey Street and Oxley Street (see map)
Constructed in 1848 in a Romanesque Style, it was declared redundant in 1956 and demolished in 1966.
Full details of the Church can be found in the London Metropolitan Archives.
The organ was taken by St Nicholas Church Southfleet where it was still in use in 2009

ChristtChurchParkersRowMap.jpg
ChristChurchParkersRow.jpg

ChristChurchsite.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am

Parkers Row

1HickmansFollyandWolseleySTPO.jpg
4ParkersRow1945.jpg

3Hickmansfollymap.jpg
5HolyTrinityParkersrowfinal.jpg

2HickmansFollyandWolseleyStToday.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:44 am

HICKMANS FOLLY CORNER OF PARKERS ROW.1927..jpg
HICKMANS FOLLY CORNER OF PARKERS ROW.1927..
DOCKHEAD FOLLY. X.jpg
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:03 am

Parkers Row,The Swan & Sugar Loaf was situated at 55 Dockhead,1949..jpg
Parker's Row,The Swan & Sugar Loaf Pub, Dockhead,1949.
Parkers Row, Dockhead,site off The Swan & Sugar Loaf Pub 2018.jpg
Parkers Row, Dockhead,site off The Swan & Sugar Loaf Pub 2018.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”