UNION STREET,BOROUGH.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: UNION STREET,BOROUGH.

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:54 pm

Union Street, numbers 243-249 (left to right, odds).  This part was formerly 15-18 Charlotte Street.  X..png
Union Street, numbers 243-249. This part was formerly 15-18 Charlotte Street.

rxj1943

Postby rxj1943 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:11 pm

kiwi wrote:John Harvard Senior School for Boys. I went to school here in the early 1950s.
When the nearby Blackfriars Senior School for Boys was destroyed by a fire, the school amalgamated with the Orange Street Senior School for Boys and became known as the John Harvard Senior School for Boys. The School was built and completed in 1874.
Union Street 2017, now the Jerwood Space arts centre. X.jpgJH Dads School badge. John Harvard,Union Street, Borough..jpg :o Union Street, Mr Osmon was my headmaster at John Harvard early 1950s. X.jpg

I left this school July 1958. I remember Osman testing us out in the nets for cricket as a fast bowler he sorted out the wheat from the chaff.
Thomas was maths teacher .A short ass who had the habit of poking you hard in the arm muscle instead of looking you in the eye.
I remember my first day at this school in Mr Manns english? class who got all our attention when he gave us his definition of a woman-
WOE-UNTO-MAN. (I should have kept this in mind later on ) The woodwork teacher was Mr Hemans who had a unique way of testing our finished treasures- by jumping on them -if they survived he let you take them home. I think the metalwork teacher was called Mr Mathews, who reminded me of the bloke on the Scotts Porridge Packets, a northern giant. I remember on the way to school one freezing morning, at the crossroads by the Royal Mail depot, an accident caused a car to skid onto waste ground and tip on its side .Then I saw our metalwork teacher drop his briefcase and overcoat and got onto the car ripped open the door and helped out the woman driver. I decided, then and there, never to upset this teacher. I didn't do bad in this school starting out 28 and finishing 2nd. 1st was a boy called Ivan Brown, who got a good job on the L E B . I got a marine engineering apprenticeship at Heinke submarine engineers in Grange Rd , Bermondsey. But I ended up as a telecoms data engineer for you know who. Does anyone recall John Harvard's motto if any. :?:
Mr Mann, teacher John Harvard School c1958.  X..jpg
Mr Mann, c1958.
Good teacher,
I really liked him.

Teacher, John Harvard School,Union Street,c1958.  X..jpg
Teacher, John Harvard
School,Union
Street,c1958. X.
I can't remember this teachers name.
Though I do remember he like football,
so he must have been ok.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:53 am

Mander Place was off Union Street, near Redcross Way.
Mander Place, Southwark 1910. Off Union Street, Borough.  X..png
Mander Place, Southwark 1910.
Mander Place c1923, off Union Street, near Redcross Way.  2  X..png
Mander Place c1923.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”