KENDER STREET

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi
Posts: 3034
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

KENDER STREET

Postby kiwi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:39 pm

It is slightly confusing regarding Hatcham Manor as it covered such a large area both sides of New Cross Road. The Lodge as stated was in Kender Street but Kender Street was not there in the 1860s. Lodge, No.56 Kender Street, was built in 1858 by George England in the grounds of his railway engineering works, the Hatcham Iron Works.
KENDER STREET, HATCHAM HOUSE. 1858.jpg
KENDER STREET, HATCHAM HOUSE. 1858.

St James Church was also in that area in 1910. St James Church, Hatcham. The Manor of Hatcham, which covered much of the area north and south of modern New Cross Road, was bought by the Haberdashers' Company in the early 17th century,it was built in 1854. It was converted for educational use by the Laban Centre for Movement and Dance in 1970.
Kender Street, c.1910 St James Church, Hatcham.jpg
Kender Street, c.1910 St James Church, Hatcham.

Hatcham House, also called Hatcham Park, was the manor house of the estate of Hatcham which belonged to the Haberdashers Company. This was on the South side of New Cross Road, in the area of Cold Blow Lane.
Hatcham House, also called Hatcham Park in the area of Cold Blow Lane..jpg

Return to “Buildings & Streets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests