How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Webb Street

Postby fosney » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 pm

Map showing the blocks.jpg
Map showing the blocks
Webb Street Looking towards Tower Bridge Road.jpg
Webb Street looking towards Tower Bridge Road

Picture from around 1914 of Webb Street looking towards Tower Bridge Road showing the buildings that existed at that time.

The only ones that now remain are Arundel Buildings, and Brighton Buildings which faces Tower Bridge Road. Both these building are now a Housing Co-Operative Trusts.

Built in 1892 they are now Grade II listed buildings

Hastings, Eastbourne. Portsmouth, Ryde and Chichester Buildings have long gone.

Kelly's Directory for 1938 shows these building as Railway Buildings and were known locally as the Seaside Buildings due to the block names.

Can anyone remember these buildings as they resemble Guinness Trust or Peabody Trust Buildings in their design, or were they built by the Railway for railway workers?

They were bombed during the war, was this the beginning of their demise?
Perhaps someone can enlighten us as to when, why and how these building disappeared?
Webb Street Street view today.jpg
Webb Street Street view today
Webb Street Aerial View Today.jpg
Webb Street Aerial View Today

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Webb Street School

Postby bermondseyboy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Webb Street School.jpg

kiwi

Re: Webb Street

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:54 am

Nice picture of Webb Streets Joe (Fosney) that brings back a lot of memories. I started at Webb Street in 1947 & the one thing I remember was the first day there, the first bell went, I think it was for the milk break plus a spoonful of malt. Well nobody told me so off I went home, thinking that wasn't to bad,I had only been there about an hour.Needless to say my mum was not to impressed & took me straight back to all the mickey taking from the other kids.
WEBB STREET SCHOOL 2014 1.jpg
WEBB STREET SCHOOL,when I was over in 2014
WEBB STREET SCHOOL 2014 this is where dad went to primary school 1947.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 am

Bermondsey 1944 Boys at the Canterbury Club of the Oxford and Bermondsey Boys Club take part in a sing-song round the piano. The Canterbury Club is on Webb Street, Bermondsey.jpg
Bermondsey 1944 Boys at the Canterbury Club of the Oxford and Bermondsey Boys Club take part in a sing-song round the piano. The Canterbury Club is on Webb Street, Bermondsey.
Webb Street,Tower Bridge Road 1948.   X (2).jpg
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Choppy

Postby Choppy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi I remember it well I lived on harreld est and swan mead in the 70s/80s and went to Grange primary very good times I was about 8 when they built / moved bermondsy boys club I went to the old one and done a bit of boxing at the new one anyone know if nobbys still around

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 pm

fosney wrote:Kelly's Directory for 1938 shows these building as Railway Buildings and were known locally as the Seaside Buildings due to the block names.

Can anyone remember these buildings as they resemble Guinness Trust or Peabody Trust Buildings in their design, or were they built by the Railway for railway workers?

They were built by the London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway for their workers, although flats were also rented to married policemen and their families. There was very little trouble in the estate!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 am

D Boys at the Canterbury Club of the Oxford and Bermondsey Club play draughts and chess in the games room of the Club. The Canterbury Club is on Webb Street ...
WEBB ST Canterbury Club of the Oxford and Bermondsey Club ..jpg
c 1944

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 am

WEBB STREET, ARUNDEL BUILDINGS, SWAN MEAD RIGHT.jpg
WEBB STREET, ARUNDEL BUILDINGS, SWAN MEAD RIGHT.
SWAN MEAD, looking towards Tower Bridge Road 2017..jpg
SWAN MEAD, looking towards Tower Bridge Road. The grey building on the left use to be a shop in the 40s & 50s+. You could by one egg, half a loaf and they would open a packet of Woodbines (Fags) and sell you one or two, I think it was called service. ;)

Hasting Buildings was on the right, roughly opposite the shop, not sure but I think the date is 1954.
Swan Mead, Mrs King, 25 Hastings Buildings, Tower Bridge Road.  2  X..jpg
Swan Mead, Mrs King, 25 Hastings Buildings, Tower Bridge Road.
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:06 am

WEBB STREET 1933..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:35 am

Webb Street School.jpg
Webb Street School

Return to “Buildings & Streets”