Southwark Park Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Southwark Park Road

Postby fosney » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Southwark Park Road.
I know this area well as I lived at number 7 in the distance on the right round the bend now part of the school.
The shops to the right of the milk float were dominated by the Co-Op RACS with a butcher and a double fronted grocery shop thats when they used to give metal tokens valued at the amount of money you spent to calculate the dividend at the end of the year( who can remember that )
The houses on the left have not changed much
Southwark Park road.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:04 am

SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD 1.jpg

freddie

Postby freddie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:30 am

(1) Southwark park road outside what is now pizza go go.........have not put now picture so anyone can do so if they wish....
(2) Dunton road bridge looking towards okr..
(3) Outside the "OLD" fire station in okr....

-bermbird

Hi bermbird,If you are going to copy my personal photographs, it would be nice to get credited!

For everyones info I took these in March 1969 using transparency film in a Practica 35mm SLR borrowed from Walworth School (now Walworth Academy). Many of the slides were over exposed and now also seemed to have faded. When I drove down Albany Road a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the early & late 60's buildings had now been demolished, but I thought I still saw the old Victorian block standing!

freddie

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:32 am

Posted by bermbird

many apologise's Freddie,just got caught up in the excitement of the pictures....I must congratulate you on these pictures.....Again i apologise

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:36 am

Posted by tingle

Does anyone remember the chip shop near dunton bridge which we called 'the high pavement' because it was raised up on a few steps - opposite the gelatine factory

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:48 am

tingle

I lived opposite that Fish and Chip shop but cant remember what is was called you went up three steps by the bus stop but next door was Wilkinsons the Greengrocer then bomb site and at the start of Dunton Road Maxwell Laundry shop what was next to that I cant recall but the third shop was Newsagent and in the season sold Frogs Tadpols and frogs spawn.

Those were the days

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:54 am

Posted by rstupple2

tingle
I lived opposite that Fish and Chip shop but cant remember what is was called you went up three steps by the bus stop but next door was Wilkinsons the Greengrocer then bomb site and at the start of Dunton Road Maxwell Laundry shop what was next to that I cant recall but the third shop was Newsagent and in the season sold Frogs Tadpols and frogs spawn.
Those were the days

-fosney

Hi Fos & Tingle I remember that fish & Chip shop, but cant remember its name, although do remember getting pie and chips there for 5p one shilling real money 9d Pie & 3d Chips,
Joe where you lived there was a record shop somewhere there. Remember buying a 45 of the American Group the drifters.

Rick

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:55 am

Rick

Have been racking my brain trying to think about this record shop and its just ckicked.
Next to where we lived was Fort Buildings which was flattened during the blitz and people who used to shelter under the archway of the buildings all lost there lives, After the site was cleared it was turned into ESW tank for the fire brigade (Emergency Static Water) and the whole site was never built on again later becoming part of the Alwyn School as it is today. But further up the road opposite Balaclava Road was a small service road that led into the Atkinson Cosmetic Factory and on this corner was a Pawn Shop and next to the pawn shop was a cycle shop 39 Southwark Park Road who later sold records this could be the shop you can remember. All this lot is now part of the Alwyn School

Joe

freddie thanks for your help on shops in Southwark Park Road it helped with this one

Downtheblue

Postby Downtheblue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:46 pm

I remember the high Pavement fish & chip shop well. It was slightly more expensive than anywhere else , as it cooked its chips in dripping they were the best ever. Can you remember the hole in the wall over dunton bridge yellow sign sold fish & chips but notably Saveloy & peas pudding served up in greaseproof paper, outstanding.

Opposite the high pavement was a paper & rag shop , us kids used to collect old newspapers and rags take them there on our carts or pram , he would weigh the paper or rags and pay us a few pennies old pennies. such memories.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 am

223 Southwark Park Road -.jpg
239 Southwark Park Road
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”