Rock Grove

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Rock Grove

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Posted by alantay

This shows part of Rock Grove whose houses were numbered 11-18. We the Taylor's- Bill & Ada plus 2 boys lived at no.17. The back wall of the Railway Tavern that was in St. James Road is shown to the rear of the photo and to its right just around the corner of ROCK GROVE where it joined Blue Anchor Lane was the Rag & Bone man's shop.
3d5b79b0ae6326f181611247acac79781f15b86c.jpg

fosney

Re: Rock Grove

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Posted by alantay

This is a present day view of ROCK GROVE "WAY" taken roughly in the same position as the first photo above. The walkway in the background is situated where the Railway Tavern used to be in St. James Rd. I remember how the old Blue Anchor Lane blended with Camilla Rd. Nan -Ellen Page worked in the Fish & Chip shop in Blue Anchor Lane. Also there was a dairy on the corner of Alexis Street & St. James Road called??? Waiting there for my school mates to go to school Mum used to always say never take sweets from old men.
Opposite the Railway Tavern pub on the other side of St. James Road under an arch was a small timber/oil/? merchant. Then there was the Bag wash just the other side of the railway arch.
a8cbb63062eeafeec47f8832d49a3f67ba7ebf29.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Posted by millylindseyst

Hi Alan
I have been reading your post re Rock Grove. Do you remember there being a cafe in Rock Grove I think towards the St James Road end as in the early fifties my mum used to work there as the cook. Also the name of the bagwash by the bridge in St James Road was called The Invincible Bagwash I used to collect the washing after school, the smell of bleach always brings back memories. I have a feeling the dairy you mentioned was called Davies Dairy but after all this time I could be wrong.
Milly

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Posteed by paperboy

Hi Alan
I have been reading your post re Rock Grove. .. the bagwash by the bridge in St James Road was called The Invincible Bagwash ..

-millylinseyst

When my Dad had his coal round he was often helped out by Tom Gardner who lived at 13 Rock Grove and worked in the docks. Tom worked some evenings in the Invincible Bagwash and I do recall being there with him; what a hot and steamy place it was .. and I too recall the smell of bleach. Whenever Tom popped in to see us he'd roll up his sleeves and say to my mum, "Move over Missus, I'll do the washing up!" Lovely feller and family! His wife was Carrie and daughter was Carol. I do wonder what happened to the family, although I guess that Tom and Carrie will probably have passed away.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Posted by paperboy

This shows part of Rock Grove whose houses were numbered 11-18. We the Taylor's- Bill & Ada plus 2 boys lived at no.17. The back wall of the Railway Tavern that was in St. James Road is shown to the rear of the photo and to its right just around the corner of ROCK GROVE where it joined Blue Anchor Lane was the Rag & Bone man's shop.

-alantay

Wasn't there a mighty gas explosion here about 1967?

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:27 pm

HI EVERYONE

Been reading the posts re- Rock Grove and trying to place just were it was situated. The older picture on the site with the back wall of The Railway Tavern I can remember but that’s about it. When MILLY mentioned the smell of the bleach from the Invincible Bagwash the memories came flooding back I can also remember Davies Dairy. The only Café I can remember is when I worked at Beaches in Rouel Road(1960) we used to walk along Lucey Road under the railway bridge to a café just on the other side, I think It was called Lindsey Street and next door to the café was a warehouse which sold allsorts of cheap gear, they also used to have stalls down a few of the markets. I can remember the Cycle Speedway mainly in Lynton Road and the amount of people who used to watch it. They used to peddle like mad and when they fell of it must have hurt like hell, kicking a football was easier. Sorry to hear about you’re dad’s colours going missing Skinabilly, same thing happened to me when I lived in Kent, lent someone my Millwalll football programmes which I had for years and the git disappeared with them. Mentioning Lynton Road I wonder if anyone can remember the name of a factory, which was in Lynton Road, on the right hand side going towards Galleywall Road coming from St James Street, they used to make cardboard boxes. I worked there around the late fifties but then decided hopping was a better option. Also more or less next door was an office belonging to a company called William Harbrows (not sure of the spelling), they used to do rigging maintenance on Radar Towers around the country, It was my first job after leaving school.

Kiwi

Pedropeter

Postby Pedropeter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Normans?

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:07 am

Rock Grove,Bermondsey c1955.   X.png
Rock Grove,Bermondsey c1955.
Rock Grove, c1955.   X.png
Rock Grove, c1955.
Rock Grove, I think this is the opposite end to the other two pictures.  X.png
Rock Grove, I think this is the opposite end to the other two pictures??, both leading to Blue Anchor Lane.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:57 pm

Rock Grove c1952, Christine Dodsworth & Alan Taylor outside no.17.   1  X.jpg
Rock Grove c1952, Christine Dodsworth & Alan Taylor outside no.17.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”