Alice Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
hculpin

Re: Alice Street

Postby hculpin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Thank you so much for these photos! My mother, maiden name Elsie Kiddell, was born in 17 Alice Street in 1912 and she and her family lived there until their end of the street was demolished in the late 1920s and they were moved into a flat. Before mum was born the family had lived in 30 Alice Street. When I was pestering mum for memories when she was in her 90s she drew this sketch of who lived where when she was young - she had a phenomenal memory for names.
Mums sketch of Alice Street.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:43 am

Hi hculpin,welcome to the site. Thank you for the sketch of Alice Street and the names of the people that where living there in those years.
What a great bit of information from your mum, she must have had a great memory. Some of my family lived in Hargreave Square at that time, so to me it is a bit of wonderful history of someone that actually lived there through that time. Treasure the sketch, to me it is priceless.
Kiwi.

SueMck

Postby SueMck » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:05 pm

This is amazing. My family, the Mckenzies, lived in Alice Street from about 1880 to 1910. I recognise some of the names as family members: Baverstock, Whistler and Moore. What a great memory and a rare survival.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:18 am

ALICE STREET, BERMONDSEY  2  X.png
ALICE STREET, BERMONDSEY.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”