Bankside 1950, looking across to a fine Victorian pub. This is the Founder’s Arms. Behind the pub is the viaduct, approaching Blackfriars railway bridge, carrying the rail lines across the Thames into Blackfriars Station. A couple of the arches underneath the railway can just be seen to the left of the pub.
To the right of the pub in the 1950 photo, the roadway continues down to the wharfs and stairs on the river. Although not a road, this is still a footpath shown in the 2019 photo by the yellow railings. Bankside still curves to the right (although moved slightly away from the river, the original route now occupied by the buildings on the right), and in the 1950 photo, just visible to the left, two cobbled streets appear to be separated by a small part of pavement that extends into the centre left of the photo. Where the pub once stood is now occupied by the single storey building behind the white van. The arches in the viaduct can just be seen on the left.
Last edited by kiwi
on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.