CROSSE & BLACKWELLS/LAZENBY'S.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
ducati dad

Re: CROSSE & BLACKWELLS/LAZENBY'S.

Postby ducati dad » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:04 pm

And talking of James Keiller, I lived round the corner to the warehouse on Bermondsey Wall East where Keiller sweets were delivered to from Glasgow for local deliveries. They came in by container on the back of a railway scammell and, as if by magic, all the local kids would slowly appear and hang around. The warehouse foreman was a guy named Steve and he would set the rollers up from the container into the warehouse and then we would offer our services to help unload the crates of sweets [4 jars to a crate] and help to load the empties on. When it was all finished we would all slowly amble away saying "See you next week Steve". The unwritten rule was that you couldn't ask for anything. Suddenly there would be the sound of breaking glass and Steve calling himself a clumsy git. When you turned round there would be a crate on the floor with broken glass all over mixed in with sweets.. Steve would ask us to clear up minding our fingers from the glass and put the sweets into a carton nearby. When it was all finished, you formed a queue and helped yourself to a couple of handsful of sweets.Steve obviously put it down to broken in transit and we got our reward for the help...Butterscotch and fruit drops I seem to remember..

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:05 am

ducati dad wrote:Wasn't there a medical centre opposite the entrance to C/B? I seem to remember as a kid if you picked up a cut or graze whilst playing locally , they would always clean you up and stick a plaster on it,

Hi ducati dad, you’re not far off regarding the Medical Centre (Bermondsey Medical Mission). This was next door to the entrance to C/Bs, Grange Road, side, and it is still there, this use to be my doctors when we lived in Pages Walk. If you go into the Crimscott Street Topic you will see a picture of the Mission, there. Kiwi.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:06 am

Crosse & Blackwell, Ford Thames.  X..jpg
Crosse & Blackwell, Ford Thames.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:32 pm

Crosse & Blackwell workers.  X. (2).png
Crosse & Blackwell workers.
Crosse and Blackwell, Crimscott Street, c1950.   X. (2).jpg
Crosse and Blackwell, Crimscott Street, late 1950s.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:57 am

Crosse & Blackwell Factory, Workers fixing labels to 'Branston Sauce' bottles c 1957.   X..png
Crosse & Blackwell Factory, Workers fixing labels to 'Branston Sauce' bottles c 1957.
Crosse & Blackwell Factory, Bermondsey, c1957.   X..png
Crosse & Blackwell Factory, Bermondsey, c1957.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”