LONG LANE.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: LONG LANE.

Postby kiwi » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:41 am

Long Lane in the 1930's. looking east towards Tower Bridge Road, the road running across the bottom is Weston Street Bermondsey.
Long Lane in the 1930's. looking east towards Tower Bridge Road, the Road running across the bottom is Weston Street Bermondsey. Picture 5 X.png
Long Lane c1930.

Long Lane, same area, this is what it looked like in 2008 and now in 2020, Weston Street running across.
Long Lane 2008, Weston Street running across, same area as picture 5   X.png
Long Lane 2020, Weston Street running across, same as area as picture 5  X.png
2020 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:37 am

Long Lane, c.1932, Tabard Street crossing left to right. Marshalsea House on the left is still there today. Pic 1.   X.png
Long Lane, c.1932, Tabard Street crossing left to right.
Marshalsea House on the left is still there today.
Long Lane, 2020, same location as Pic 1. Tabard Street crossing.  X.png
Long Lane, 2020, same location with Tabard Street crossing
and Borough High Street behind.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:26 am

This pub was demolished c.1968 and replaced with a new building further down Long Lane. Left of pub in the 1950s was Weston Place with Pepin Place right, formerly Valentine Place.
Long Lane, The Valentine & Orson was situated at 163 Long Lane, c1963.  X..png
The Valentine & Orson was situated at 163 Long Lane, c1963.

Steveshaller

Postby Steveshaller » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:48 am

What a wonderful surprise to see a photo of my Dad's barber shop. Not only the shop but also our living premises. It was my home for 14 years and at the time this photo was taken I was 11 years old. My dad Alec was an old fashioned barber who started off as a lather boy at the age of 14 and worked until he was 67. Short back and sides, open razor shaving and hot towels were the order of the day. I now live in Spain but I will never forget 264 Long Lane. Steve Shaller

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 pm

Steveshaller wrote:What a wonderful surprise to see a photo of my Dad's barber shop. Not only the shop but also our living premises. It was my home for 14 years and at the time this photo was taken I was 11 years old. My dad Alec was an old fashioned barber who started off as a lather boy at the age of 14 and worked until he was 67. Short back and sides, open razor shaving and hot towels were the order of the day. I now live in Spain but I will never forget 264 Long Lane. Steve Shaller

Long Lane, Alec's Gents Toilet Saloon,c1957.   X.png
Long Lane, Alec's Gents Toilet Saloon,c1957.

Hi Steve, welcome to the site. Thank you for the information on your dad’s barber shop and your time living in Long Lane, this really brings the picture to life. I can remember the shop, so not only was it a wonderful surprise for you it also helped to make my day. Kiwi.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Long Lane, c1957. Castle Brothers Limited left. In the distance, on the left is the mock Tudor facade of The Ship public house.   X..png
Long Lane, c1957. Castle Brothers Limited left. In the distance, on the left
is the mock Tudor facade of The Ship public house.
Long Lane, 2020, same location as Pic 3. The Ship Pub down on the left by the car.   X..png
Long Lane, 2020, same location. The Ship Pub down on the left by the car.
Archdale House left.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi Kiwi,

I was researching Long Lane today and discovered I had missed your question about the details of this photo four years ago, so my apologies for that unintended rudeness.

Long Lane, Bermondsey,1913..jpg

The photo was taken in Meeting House Lane, Peckham, in 1913. It is a cropped copy of image 54626 in the London Picture Archive (formerly Collage). John Driver had only very recently taken over the proprietorship of the grocery at 156A from Charles Moley, which accounts for the shiny new nameboard. On the board above the door of 158 it is just possible to make out the name W. Ingle - Tailor. William Ingle had died some years earlier but his widow had carried on the business for a few years.

Apologies again for the slower than usual reply!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:43 am

Fogbrain wrote:Hi Kiwi,

I was researching Long Lane today and discovered I had missed your question about the details of this photo four years ago, so my apologies for that unintended rudeness.

Long Lane, Bermondsey,1913..jpg

The photo was taken in Meeting House Lane, Peckham, in 1913. It is a cropped copy of image 54626 in the London Picture Archive (formerly Collage). John Driver had only very recently taken over the proprietorship of the grocery at 156A from Charles Moley, which accounts for the shiny new nameboard. On the board above the door of 158 it is just possible to make out the name W. Ingle - Tailor. William Ingle had died some years earlier but his widow had carried on the business for a few years.

Apologies again for the slower than usual reply!

Hi Fogbrain, no need to apologies, as they say better late than never, and thank you for the information. As I have said before some posts are not always right (mainly by me) and if it wasn’t for yourself most of them would go unnoticed. Once again thanks’ Fogbrain much appreciated. :)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:25 am

I think this was possible called Cardol Place, not Caradol Place. :?: This was roughly opposite Balin Place.
Long Lane, looking down Caradol Place, c1900. This was roughly opposite Balin Place.  X..jpg
Long Lane, looking down Caradol Place, c1900.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:34 pm

kiwi wrote:I think this was possible called Cardol Place, not Caradol Place. :?
Quite so. The description on the London Picture Archive will be changed at some point in the next few weeks to say:

"Looking south from Long Lane (White Street until incorporation into Long Lane in 1877), Borough, at Cardol Place, photographed to record the scene prior to demolition of the buildings fronting Long Lane for road widening. At 54 Long Lane to the right is Thomas Gardiner’s greengrocery, and on the left wardrobe dealer William Cook has recently taken over the shop at number 56 where Hutton Carter sold fancy drapery. Tenements in Cardol Place face similar out of sight opposite. A tall stout telegraph pole stands on the right in Cardol Place. Bovril is advertised on the side of the greengrocer’s above posters advising of a political meeting at Bermondsey Methodist Great Central Hall and soliciting votes for John W. Benn, the Liberal Party candidate standing for Bermondsey in the 1900 general election. A street name sign carrying Cardol Place’s former name "St George’s Place South" and the postal district "SE" is mostly obscured by a gas street lamp. A cast-iron bollard prevents road traffic entering Cardol Place. Many people, mostly children - of whom one can be seen to be barefooted, are gathered around at the entrance to Cardol Place and further down, to observe the photography."

Return to “Buildings & Streets”