Dunton Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Dunton Road

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:20 am

Posted by Rollsey

Fosney, I remember the coffe stall, it was run by Wal, some called him Wally. He used to park the stall round in Earls Cotts and in 1952 I used to help him push it to the corner of Dunton/Rolls Rd at 4.15 everynight. It was later when I got detention...
He used to give me 3d a night. I did it mon/tues/wed and then I had enough for the New Cross speedway on weds.
Thur and fri money was saved for the following weeks program. ninepence to get in and and sixpence prog.Old Wal lived over in Nile Terrace.
You mentioned the bomb site in Dunton, old bakerypolice station, we always called it The Dirt Hills. Up to the top with a piece of anderson shelter and then about six kids would get on and slide down. Good days.
At Georges, he sold all Telfers stuff, pies, savs, sausage rills and faggots. the pease pudding he did himself. Keep bringing back the memories. /Sorry about the football result .

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:21 am

Greyhound Place, Dunton Road..jpg
Greyhound Place, 89-92 Dunton Road
Dunton Road,72-82 Greyhound Place  c1970.  X.png
Dunton Road,72-82 Greyhound Place c1970

The Greyhound Pub was amongst these Terrace Houses, beside Dunton Bridge.
Picture of a model of The Greyhound Pub, without the brewery signs, but it does give you some idea of what it looked like.
Dunton Road formerly Upper Grange Road, The Greyhound Pub, 1-1/2d Pub Token.
W, Tyler, was licensee in 1869.
Dunton Road, picture of a model of The Greyhound Pub, without the brewery signs, but it does give you some idea of what it looked like.    X..jpg
Dunton Road formerly Upper Grange Road, The Greyhound Pub, Southwark 1-1-2d Pub Token.   X..png
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 am

THE CLAREMONT ARMS, DUNTON ROAD BERMONDSEY.jpg
Claremont Arms, 32 Dunton Road, formally Upper Grange Road. Bermondsey
Closed in 2012, demolished and replaced with flats.
Dunton Road, The Claremont Arms Pub c.1995.   X.png
Dunton Road, The Claremont Arms Pub c.1995.

Dunton Road,site of The Claremont Pub..jpg
Site of The Claremont Pub.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 am

Was this ever called The Greyhound. :?: I can only remember it as the Conquering Hero.
DUNTON ROAD..jpg
I remember it well, 1950s on that is.
;)
DUNTON ROAD, 1985.  X..png
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:35 pm

92a26e19718ccce4789b4c5cf48eaff1e079b02d_r[1].jpg

Georges Chip Shop (hole in the wall)

A part of Bermondsey History that was well known by the local drinkers
After the Pubs turned out there was nothing better than some Peas Pudding, Savaloys and chips.
But does anyone remember when it first opened and when it closed and what happened to George?

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:31 am

Crol & Co. (CAFÉ) 77 Dunton Road, 2016, on the corner of Dunton Road and Lynton Road, I think there was a betting shop here before this. I can remember when there was a paper shop here (50s-60s). How this part has changed, Willow Walk opposite, entrance to Bricklayers Arms Railway Depot & Stables were on the left, with the railway houses. Mr Ted Horn one of the foreman on the railway lived in one of them.
Crol & Co. 77 Dunton Road, 2016.jpg
Crol & Co..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:37 am

DUNTON ROAD X.jpg
DUNTON ROAD.
DUNTON ROAD, ASH HOUSE,2017  X.jpg
ASH HOUSE,2017

nuttyboy pat

Re: Dunton Road True Love

Postby nuttyboy pat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Picture 097 copy.jpg
Oh Romeo, oh Romeo, where art thou?

When I was a nipper, 11 years or so, I fell madly in love with a girl at St Josephs School called Tina. When I found out that she lived on Dunton Road in the Ash House estate only about a mile from where I lived I decided to walk our pet dog every night, weekends too, past her flat hoping to to get just a glimpse of her!
As some of my friends lived in that estate too we met up some evenings to play football and have a lark about. We never played with the girls as it was a thing in those days, however, one evening Tina and some of her friends came down to play with us and someone said 'lets play kiss n' chase'. I was like a nervous wreak, I can't believe that I can finally let the whole world know about my true feelings for her! Finally it was my turn to chase Tina and when I caught her for a kiss I was so nervous that my legs went to jelly and I ran away :lol: :lol: :lol: She never again spoke to me after that!

But just to show you what a small world we live in, when I was a Paramedic I was transferring a pregnant female patient into hospital and during our conversation she happen to mention that she originally came from Bermondsey and I jokingly said that my first true love came from there too, and when I mentioned her name, Tina, she exclaimed that this is her best friend, OMG :o :o :o
She did offer me her mobile number but I respectfully declined as I was engaged and sometimes its best to leave the past in the past but it was so lovely to reminisce :) :) :)
Last edited by nuttyboy pat on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi nuttyboy pat, what a great story and memory,this must have happened to quite a lot of us way back then. Like you I must have been about 10 and going to Webb Street School and I really liked a girl called Shirley Prosser but I was more lucky than you as I did get a few kisses. ;) Smashing how after all these years we can still remember, those girls definitely made an impression on us and life was so much simpler way back then.

expatmick

Postby expatmick » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:34 pm

fosney wrote:Posted by rstupple2

Hi Bermbird,
Is the picture of Dunton Bridge a slightly newer picture, seem to remember Iron trelis work on the Bridge, remember as kids we used to wait until a steam train went under the bridge and stick our heads though, what we must have been inhaling was anybody's guess. But were still here.

Rick
yes the iron trelis was removed when they built the new bridge in the 70s i believe .and georges chip bar NEVER sold fish . only savs,pease pudding, pies, faggots . chips.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”