Page 1 of 3

TANNER STREET.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 am
by kiwi
Cockle & Co, Bermondsey Mesh and Wireworks, moved to 109 Tanner St in 1903, trading at this location until 1919. Wire work was used for ornamental & utilitarian purposes: aviaries, trellises & meat-safes.
109 Tanner Street. X.jpg
Cockle & Co.

It was also in the TRADES DIRECTORY, 1910, as still being in Bermondsey Street.??

SARSONS VINEGAR.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:06 am
by kiwi
SARSONS 2.jpg
Until the early 20th century Tanner St was the home of the Sarsons Vinegar factory.
The Sarson's Vinegar factory was situated in Tanner Street in Bermondsey, on the southern approach to Tower Bridge, where you could smell the aroma of the vinegar., In 1932 the company merged with other British vinegar producers to form British Vinegars Ltd.
In 1929, Crosse & Blackwell acquired both Champion & Slee and Sarson’s and it’s likely that the works in Tower Bridge Road acquired the name of Sarsons at that time, or perhaps a few years later when both companies, along with other vinegar makers, became part of British Vinegars which went through further changes of ownership during the 20th century.

Sarsons Vinegar factory in Tower Bridge Road was one of the last, if not the last, of the great Bermondsey food processing factories to cease production. It closed in 1992 and has been converted into a mixed-use complex of apartments and offices.
The mixed-use development, that combines the original brick buildings with steel and glass walkways, was completed in 2006 and renamed Maltings Place.
In 2012 the brand was acquired by Mizkan, a large Japanese food conglomerate .
sarsons 2.gif
SARSONS 1.jpg

COOPERS ARMS PUB,TANNER STREET.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 am
by kiwi
Coopers Arms Pub,Tanner St,Bermondsey 1828..jpg
Coopers Arms Pub,Tanner St,Bermondsey 1828

Re: TANNER STREET.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:27 pm
by fosney
Bermondsey Workhouse -Tanner Street Formerly Russell Street

A workhouse was approved in 1746 by The Board Of Guardians for the area and was errected in 1791 in Russell Street now known as Tanner Street
There seems to be a lack of photographic evidence of the building
1 Picture of workhouse in Rufsell Street note the way they spell the name
2 Women in the bermondsey Union Workhouse
3 Map showing workhouse as Institution
4 Bermondsey Labour Party Magazine 1925 with picture showing demolition of workhouse

Re: TANNER STREET.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:45 am
by kiwi
Workhouse,Russell St.Bermondsey..jpg
Workhouse,Russell St.Bermondsey
Workhouse..jpg


Russell St,now Tanner St, Workhouse 1839..png
Russell St,now Tanner St, Workhouse 1839

Re: TANNER STREET.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:27 am
by kiwi
TANNER STREET.jpg

SIMMONS & CO, TANNER STREET

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 am
by kiwi
No's 3, 5 & 7 Tanner Street were built around 1838 as one building but used, until 1888, as three separate commercial premises. In 1888 the building was purchased by the Simmons Company, makers of perambulators, mail carts and stretchers. Simmons later purchased No.1 Tanner St and connected the four buildings together for different aspects of their production. No.1 Tanner St was used for painting and finishing and No.3 was the location of the forge where Simmons produced their patented carriage springs.
Simmons failed to become involved in the war effort and their production methods were overtaken by other manufacturers, notably Silver Cross. By 1952 Simmons were selling No.1 Tanner St and the company finally closed its doors in 1959.
5&7 Tanner St as pictured from Tanner St park in 1957 prior to the building being purchased by George Hine & Sons.
SIMMONS & CO LTD.jpg
PRAMS 1.jpg
PRAMS

Re: SIMMONS & CO, TANNER STREET

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 am
by kiwi
PRAM 3.jpg
PRAM 2.jpg

Re: SIMMONS & CO, TANNER STREET

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am
by kiwi
Simmons & Co, Tanner Street..jpg
Staff Photo, the small building behind became the Midland Bank.
The white building in background was the garage in Morocco Street.

Simmonds & Co,Tanner St..jpg
STAFF ON A DAY OUT c 1958.

Re: TANNER STREET.

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:21 am
by fosney
Tanner Street

With all the changes taking place in the Tanner Street and Riley Road area - today we have a picture - courtesy of "tingle" - of the Wyatt & Company Tin Plate Works, which stood opposite the Riley Road School in Tanner Street.

Like others, I can remember looking down from the upper floors of the school building, at the women at work in this factory, and they would wave at us through the windows.
Tannerstreetoppschool.jpg
TannerSttoday.jpg