Grange Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Grange Road

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:55 am

Posted by bermondseygirl

Hi Dickemint50
I must have been in that queue for the smallpox vacination. As you say it was very long. It was also very nasy. I wasnt vacinated for smallpox as a child as my mums sister had been vacinated in Bermondsey as a small child and she had the most enormous mark on her arm. My mum didnt want my arm scared. I went on my on accord to get the vacine as scared of getting the illness. As you say there was an outbreak. My scar wasnt that bad compared to my aunts. Glad I had it done then and not as a small child as my arms look bad enough now through age without a big scar on it as well!

Bermondseygirl

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Posted by Bermondseygal

Hi Fosney!

I don't remember Griffin Bros tailors but my aunt (my dad's sister Grace Brown, nee Longworth) worked as a seamstress for Griffins!

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:05 pm

bermondseygal

Do you realise that your Aunt Grace was probably the one that made my suit, what a small world.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Posted by bermondseygal

bermondseygal Do you realise that your Aunt Grace was probably the one that made my suit, what a small world.

-fosney

Fosney...I bet there's a good chance aunt Grace did make your suit!
My mum told me aunt Grace was a good seamstress so hopefully your suit was well made!

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Posted by Jezfeeney

i had many a trip to The Solarium circa 1967-70. from memory there was dental surgery on the top floor. remember the old fashioned gas being administered and blacking out. i'm sure your right about jabs...certain i had some inoculations there. great photos. thanks for taking the time to post them.

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Grange Road

Picture from outside the old Cinema
GrangeRoadTBR2.jpg
GrangeRoadTBRtoday.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Grange Road

Again we return to the Spa Road and Grange Road junction with a picture from a different angle giving more detail of the shops that stood by the bus stop.

We can just see the end of The New Tanners Arms which used to be on the corner of Ernest Street the shop next door being Griffin Brothers Tailors Shop and then Ruebens The Newagent I am still unaware what the next shop was.
GrangeRoadshopscropped.jpg
GrangeRoadToday.jpg

paperboy

Postby paperboy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 pm

I remember the story of the skeleton being found in Canon Murnane Road. Was it a WW2 victim? I seem to recall that it was reported as being much earlier than that.

paperboy

Postby paperboy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

The picture of St Luke's brought back a memory.

I was a member of the 22nd Bermondsey Cub Pack which held pack meetings in the basement of St Paul's Church in Keyse Road during the late 1950s. The pack was run by a husband and wife and son team. The head of the pack (the husband) was Baloo, his wife was Akela but I can't remember what we called the son. (I was about 8 at the time!) I think they all lived in the Deptford area but I could be completely wrong about that. I had to call them at home as part of my Guide Badge tasks and I think I was calling a Deptford number from the phone box in the forefront of The New Neckinger Estate in Spa Road.

Baloo died around 1958 and his funeral service was held in St Luke's. The whole pack went, all in uniform of course. I had been to Boutcher Infants but had never set foot inside St Luke's until then, and never since then! Akela went on to run the cub pack.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:15 am

ALASKA 61  GRANGE ROAD.jpg
ALASKA 61 GRANGE ROAD
ALASKA 2.jpg
ALASKA

Grange Rd, Bermondsey, Alaska Works, c1988.    X..png
Grange Rd, Bermondsey, Alaska Works, c1988.
A woman worker at the Alaska Fur works in Bermondsey, 1950.jpg
A woman worker at the Alaska Fur works in Bermondsey, 1950.
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”