TABARD STREET.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: TABARD STREET.

Postby kiwi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:37 am

TABARD GARDENS.jpg
Tabard Garden Area, tall building in background is DEWRANCES in Great Dover Street.
Not sure if the long building is part of Dewrances or another company ??

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 am

The Royal Oak is the successor to the Walnut Tree inn maintained by Lewes Priory on the site of London Bridge Station. Normally the horses make deliveries around the town of Lewes once a week but there are plans for a return visit to Southwark. c 2014
ROYAL OAK PUB TABARD STREET  c 2014.jpg
ROYAL OAK PUB TABARD STREET c 2014

Interior of The Royal Oak Pub,Tabard Street, 2016.jpg
Interior of The Royal Oak Pub,Tabard Street, 2016.
TABARD ST, NEBRASKA ST (LEFT) 2014, HEADING TOWARDS THE BOROUGH, Royal Oak Pub on the corner..jpg
TABARD ST, NEBRASKA ST (LEFT) 2014, HEADING TOWARDS THE BOROUGH, Royal Oak Pub on the corner.
ROYAL OAK PUB TABARD STREET X.jpg
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu May 18, 2017 2:51 am

TABARD STREET..jpg
View across roof tops to Pinks Factory, Tabard Street in 1916.This picture
Was taken prior to slum clearance to make way for the Tabard Garden Estate.

Elim

Postby Elim » Fri May 19, 2017 5:33 pm

fosney wrote:Tabard Gardens

Picture from 1949 of flats on Tabard Estate can anyone remember them or tell where this was or put a name to this block?

1930 aerial viewof Tabard Gardenbc156ad2a387e42bb55b2f9f5c427568d2593fcc.jpg45ff5d264ed4fce219992707e194fa863c5f07c5.jpg

That is Eastwell House. Still there.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed May 31, 2017 4:45 am

Tabard School Centre, Bermondsey 2016. Picture taken from Tabard St, Tabard School Centre is between Hunter Close(left) and Prioress Street (right). Another bit of information, which I never realised, is that the back of Hartley’s Jam factory is at the end of Prioress St.
TABARD SCHOOL CENTRE, BERMONDSEY, 2016 X.jpg
TABARD SCHOOL CENTRE, BERMONDSEY, 2016.

In 1894 Weston Street continued S to Great Dover Street. The school is now located between the modern Prioress Street, Hunter Close (formerly Great Hunter Street?), Potier Street and Rephidim Street. Tabard Street School II Formerly known as, Great Hunter Street Schools, Dated 1873, completed 1874. Current address Prioress Street, Bermondsey.
Prioress Street, Bermondsey, current address 2019.  X.png
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elim

Postby Elim » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:21 pm

hi fosney the flats are in weston street oppersite elim estate are eastwell house hope this helps

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:07 am

Delph Street Area, Tabard Street Estate before development c 1926. Delph Street was between Amicable Row & Walker Street all have disappeared now under Tabard Gardens.
DELPH STREET c 1926..jpg
DELPH STREET AREA c 1926

Picture States, ”Tabard Estate, Walker Street by Delph Street”.
Delph Street,Tabard Estate,Tabard Street.  X.png
Walker Street.

Delph Street ran between Amicable Row & Walker Street. Three roads ran between Delph Street and Staple Street, Stannage, Upper Mill Street and Dobbs Cross.
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

PatrickTLong

Postby PatrickTLong » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:11 pm

kiwi wrote:Tabard Park holds some good memories for me, as we use to go there from Webb Street School (1947/53?) to play football, if my memory holds me right the pitch was that red stuff, was it ash? In those days, it had a wire fence all the way around it but no health and safety then. At that time the fence was held up by big iron girders, which believe it or not were on the inside. At that age, you chased and kick anything that moved, unfortunately I managed to kick one of the girders, don’t think I broke my foot but it hurt like hell and stopped me playing for quite a few weeks. In those days if you were lucky enough to have football boots, they had hard toes and came up past your ankles with studs held in by small nails which would come up through you boots and stick into your foot, by the end of the game your feet were covered in blood. At that time, I had a pair of hand me downs which were about two sizes to big, so I had newspaper stuffed up the toes. Shin pads were those little paperback books which I think were called Hank Janson?, still they done the job. I can remember The Royal Oak pub and St Stephens Church also some of the surrounding streets. I can vaguely remember an Ice Cream Factory in Hankey Place, though it was only small, also a butter factory next door.

Tabard Street..jpg

What a great memory you have Kiwi! I went to Melior Street School and also frequented Tabard Park. You've just described the playing field and the football boots perfectly. The hard toe caps, the stuffed newspaper inside if they didn't fit and the shin pads. I thought that I was the only one that had studs that had nails that eventually came through the soles of the boots to make my feet bleed and put a hole in my socks. The red soil there seemed unique to me as I can't remember playing anywhere else that had that kind of layer.

micky2horses

Postby micky2horses » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:42 pm

I remember playing football in Tabard Street. Also the church in the park was where The Dave Clark 5 made a film and all their gear got nicked!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 am

These brilliant posts & pictures. Originally posted by fosney in 2012, are of the area in and around Tabard Street, (Borough end). For that reason, I have decided to post them in the Tabard Street Topic.

Tabard Estate - Fox's Buildings.
Fox's Buildings was a small area to the south of Sterry Street and to the north of St Stephens Square.
On the 1914 map we can see Fox's Buildings adjacent to what is now Pilgrimage Street (which had not then been named) but shown as an extension to Globe Street. This area is now part of the Tabard Garden Estate.
The entrance to Fox's Buidings was through an opening in Tabard Street as we can see from the pictures. We can also see from the pictures that the houses were ready for demolition, although it would be some 25 years before this would take place. It would seem that the buildings in Tabard Street were in the same condition at this time.
The map from 1950 shows the position of Fox's Buildings in relation to Tabard Gardens, and we can see that the part of Globe Street to the north of Great Dover Street has been renamed as Pilgrimage Street through to Long Lane.
TABARD STREET 1.jpg
Entrance to Fox's Buildings from Tabard Street
TABARD STREET 2.jpg
Fox's Buildings Entrance

Tabard Street, Buildings at Fox's Buildings.jpg
Buildings at Fox's Buildings.
TABARD STREET 1914 map.jpg
1914 MAP.
TABARD STREET 1950 Map.jpg
1950 MAP.

Tabard Street, c1909.  What a sad story, sometimes I just cannot understand humans.  X..png
Tabard Street, c1909. What a sad sad story, sometimes I just cannot understand humans.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”