TABARD STREET.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: TABARD STREET.

Postby kiwi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 am

Origanal post by fosney 2012.

Tabard Estate - Sterry Street
We move a little further down Tabard Street to the South of Pickfords Goods Yard, where we find Sterry Street, which still exists today.
We can see from the picture how dilapidated the buildings had become, in fact so bad they needed structural support and they could well have been the properties shown on Harwood's map of 1799. On the 1872 map, Sterry Street is not shown, but we can see Providence Place and George Street, it would seem that change took place in this area around 1881.
On the 1896 map, Sterry Street is shown, but Providence Place and George Street have now disappeared - could it be that George Street was re-named Sterry Street? Again, on the 1914 map we see further changes to the area between Sterry Street and Fox's Building, this area has been demolished but the jam and confectionery works has become established. Pinks Jam Factory was a major employer in this area as we will find later.

Tabard Gardens --- Pickfords Goods Yard
We continue exploring the area around Tabard Estate and work our way further down Tabard Street.
In the area now occupied by The Empire Square Complex was Pickford's Goods Yard - a large and extensive depot that covered an area from Tabard Street to Long Lane - no doubt in its day an employer of many men in the area while the yard seemed to dominated the area.
Picture 1 is Nebraska Street with a view showing Pickfords yard at the end in Tabard Street . Nebraska Street still remains but now with a view looking at the Empire Square Complex.
Picture 2 in Long Lane, in the old picture we can see the entrance to Pickfords Yard on the left, in today’s picture again we can see the other side of the Empire Square Complex.
Many of us are unaware that the goods yard existed but it is shown on the maps for 1872,1894, 1914 and as late as the 1936 to 1952 map of this area.
The picture of Pickfords wagon was at the Elephant and Castle but one would guess that this wagon was based at the Tabard Street and Long Lane Depot.
1872 Map.jpg
1896 Map.jpg
1914 Map.jpg

NEBRASKA STREET off GREAT DOVER STREET.jpg
Long Lane Pickfords Depot on Left.jpg
Long Lane Pickfords Depot on Left
The Elephant and Castle.jpg
Pickfords wagon at The Elephant and Castle

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 am

Posted by fosney 2012.
Tabard Estate ----St Stephens Square and St Stephens Church

We move further down Tabard Street to St Stephens Square, which no longer exists.
This area is now part of the Tabard Garden Estate. In St Stephens Square where the church took pride of place nothing remains of the Church except the Vicarage now known as St Stephens Lodge which can be found on the corner of Hankey Place and Manciple Street.
The Church was consecrated on the 27 April 1850 and cost the Church Commissioners £5,650 and was built in a very simple Gothic Style, the architect being S S Teulon.
It had its Organ to the south end and a Tower to the north end. St Stephens ceased to function as a place of worship in 1961 and was made redundant in 1964 and was demolished in 1965.
Shortly before demolition took place the band "Dave Clarke Five" shot part of the film " Catch us if You Can" in the Church ( available to view on the forum on the video section under St Stephens Church).
During the demolition the Organ was sold for £100 to Christ Of Kings Church Salford which was being rebuilt and the bell and other furnishings were sold for scrap.
I am aware that some members of the forum remember the Church which they used to pass by on the path that crossed Tabard Garden Estate shown on the second map, perhaps they can tell us what they remember about the area and the Church?

Map from 1914 showing showing St Stephens Place with Church and Vicarage.jpg
Map from 1914 showing showing St Stephens Place with Church and Vicarage.
TABARD STREET 1950 Map.jpg
TABARD STREET 1950 Map
Tabard Street,St Stephens Church.jpg
St Stephens Church
Tabard Street,Dave Clarke Five seen leaving the Church after filming.jpg
Dave Clarke Five seen leaving the Church after Filming.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:15 am

Posts by fosney 2012.
Tabard Street, the shop opposite The Crown looking into St Stephens Place, the Church Tower can be seen in the distance.jpg
Tabard Street, the shop opposite The Crown looking into St Stephens Place, the Church Tower can be seen in the distance
Looking towards Tabard Street from outside the Church, The Crown Pub can be seen on the far right and a builders yard between the houses and before the pub,.jpg
Looking towards Tabard Street from outside the Church, The Crown Pub can be seen on the far right and a builders yard between the houses and before the pub.
St Stephens Vicarage today, known as St Stephens Lodge.jpg
St Stephens Vicarage today, known as St Stephens Lodge
Tabard Gardens,Site of where the Church stood..jpg
Tabard Gardens,Site of where the Church stood.

Hope I have these posts/pictures in the right order,apologise to Joe (fosney) if I have slipped up. :?: Once again well worth the effort to re-posts this information. :)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 am

Origanal post by Kiwi 2017.
Can anyone remember the horse trough that was on the island where Great Dover Street & Tabard Street met looking to-wards the Bricklayers Arms?
I can remember in the winter, I was about 8 or 9; I and my mates were throwing bricks at it to break the ice. The only thing was to the left was a Police Box & out came the old bill, this was in the time (1948/50) when we were frightened of the Police. Well we all did a runner down Tabard Street, with the old bill shouting his head off. I still can’t believe how far we ran that day to get back to Pages Walk, only every Policeman we saw we thought it was the same one from the police box, so every copper we saw we ran in the opposite direction, to us they all looked the same and we were so scared of getting caught. I don’t remember the exact route we took but I know we ended up in Abbey Street & made our way back down Crimscott Street to Pages Walk, it took us hours. I bet the first policeman was probable home having his tea, to say we learnt our lesson is an understatement.

Post by Fosney (2017)
Kiwi
Map of the area from Southwark Council Maps from 1936/52 shows the Horse Trough, looks like the Police Box was outside Carlile House which is marked PCO on the map. I have seen a picture of that area will try to find it.
The attachment TABARD STREET 1932-52, SHOWING HORSE TROUGH & POLICE BOX.jpg is no longer available
TABARD STREET 1932-52, SHOWING HORSE TROUGH & POLICE BOX.jpg
Tabard Street at the junction with Great Dover Street (left) you can just see the Horse Trough to the left of the picture..jpg
Tabard Street at the junction with Great Dover Street (left) you can just see the Horse Trough to the left of the picture.

Thanks to Fosney for the pictures & map, the memory certainly brought a smile to my face :D
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:34 am

Tabard Street 1915. The George was situated at 130 Tabard Street.jpg
The George was situated at 130 Tabard Street, c1915.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:09 pm

The Beckford Head  274 Tabard Street, 1953, now demolished.jpg
The Beckford Head 274 Tabard Street, now demolished

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:04 am

Kids in the Park, It was shoes off in Tabard Gardens, Bermondsey. Space Structures Workshop - a small group of experimental artists - had some of their plastic creations there for the children to play on, and in. There was a tunnel, a sort of balloon, and the 'witch's cauldron' surrounded by coloured smoke. The kids lazed, romped, jumped, climbed, and just as often fell. It was a great day in the sun, June 1970.
Tabard Gardens, Bermondsey,1970. Kids in the Park.jpg
Tabard Gardens 1970.  X..jpg
Tabard Park, Bermondsey,1970.  X..png
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon May 06, 2019 1:28 am

Tabard Street,Chaucer House Southwark.png
Tabard Street,Chaucer House Southwark.
Tabard Street,Courtyard of Chaucer House Hostel for the Homeless 1971.png
Tabard Street,Courtyard of Chaucer House Hostel for the Homeless 1971
Tabard Street, Chaucer House,1972.This building was demolished in the late seventies as it was deemed unfit for human habitation..png
Tabard Street, Chaucer House,1972.This building was demolished in the late seventies as it was deemed unfit for human habitation.
:(
Tabard Street, Chaucer House Southwark London. C1971.  X.png
Chaucer House Southwark c1971
Tabard Street a mother and children outside their home at Chaucer House, Southwark c1971.  X.png
A mother and children outside their home at Chaucer House, Southwark c1971.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 am

Falstaff Yard was between Potier Steet & Law Street, bottom end towards Bricklayers Arms.
Tabard Street, Falstaff Yard c1914. X.jpg
Falstaff Yard c1914,off Tabard Street
Last edited by kiwi on Mon May 27, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon May 27, 2019 12:41 am

If you look at fosneys 1914 map on page one,you can see Lansdowne Place near to Falstaff Yard.
Lansdowne Place 1913,no longer there, now Tabard Gardens.  X.jpg
Lansdowne Place 1913,no longer there, now Tabard Gardens.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”