kiwi

CHARLES STREET,SOUTHWARK.

Postby kiwi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Charles Street, Southwark, 1887..jpg
Charles Street, Southwark, 1887.

kiwi

Re: CHARLES STREET,SOUTHWARK.

Postby kiwi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Charles Street Southwark,1887. Ponsonby Buildings Charles Street has since been renamed Nicholson Street, and the Ponsonby Buildings have been demolished. X.jpg
Charles Street Southwark,1887, Ponsonby Buildings. Charles Street has since been renamed Nicholson Street, and the Ponsonby Buildings have been demolished

kiwi

Re: CHARLES STREET, NICHOLSON STREET,SOUTHWARK.

Postby kiwi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:00 pm

Nicholson Street was formerly Charles Street. Charles Street is now the street at the top, formerly Chancel Street & before that Robert Street. The building at the far end was at one time a Free Public Library.
Charles Street now Nicholson Street, in c1953.  X..png
Nicholson Street, in c1953. Ponsonby Buildings left.
Charles Street now Nicholson Street,2020. Same location as Pic 1.  X..png
Nicholson Street,2020. Same location.

Sparklejeannie

Postby Sparklejeannie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:49 am

Hi, Just come across this post about Ponsonby Buildings. I lived there between 1948 and 1954 - I was gobsmacked to see the picture of the Coronation Day Street Party! I had been in Scotland with my Grandma and my Dad had come up to bring me home. I asked what the flags were for and he said it was because the neighbours were pleased to see me. I remember putting on my tartan kilt and singing "A Gordon for Me" to the neighbours at the party. Thanks for posting this, where on earth did you find it?

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:28 am

Sparklejeannie wrote:Hi, Just come across this post about Ponsonby Buildings. I lived there between 1948 and 1954 - I was gobsmacked to see the picture of the Coronation Day Street Party! I had been in Scotland with my Grandma and my Dad had come up to bring me home. I asked what the flags were for and he said it was because the neighbours were pleased to see me. I remember putting on my tartan kilt and singing "A Gordon for Me" to the neighbours at the party. Thanks for posting this, where on earth did you find it?

Hi Sparklejeannie, welcome to the site. Thank you for the story of that day, I have said this before, a picture is good, but a story brings that picture to life. I’m sure it put a smile on your face, your story certainly put one on mine. Unfortunately, I’m not sure where I found the photo, as you can imagine it takes a lot of time and patience trawling through many sites to find a picture, but when you get a feedback of someone’s memory it makes it all worthwhile. :)
"A Gordon for Me"----- Did a Gordon Highlander really get all the lassies :?: ;)

Sparklejeannie

Postby Sparklejeannie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:25 pm

It definitely did put a smile on my face. I had been past the top end of Nicholson Street on Saturday (with my son driving) showed him where I used to live and the church where I was christened, so it was all still fresh in my mind. I now have something to show all those people I have told that story to. Most of whom have heard it at least twice. Thanks again! :) And yes, I do believe they did ;-)

Sparklejeannie

Postby Sparklejeannie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:53 am

9a722a8a-eca1-4095-9fe3-d50a6b3edb3e.jpeg

The picture of the street party has got a lot of attention in the family. We all agree that the little boy stood on his own on the kerb on the left of the picture is my brother - looking for mischief no doubt. My sister found this picture of my mother and me and my brother and sister in the back yard of Ponsonby Buildings.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”