Tooley Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: Tooley Street

Postby kiwi » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:26 am

Jean wrote:I lived in Vine St Buildings, off Tooley St, from 1947 to 1955 as a small child. They were victorian tenements: two rooms, a sink in one corner of the main room with a beautiful old range. The toilet was on the balcony. Many of my family lived there too. I loved it.
Hi Jean welcome to the site Kiwi.

TobyNoble

Postby TobyNoble » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:24 pm

Jimmy W wrote:My Dad had a cafe in Abbots Lane called
" Jim's Cafe" circa 1950. He was previously a
Docker and a well known Boxer in the later 1920's
Jimmy Wheeler from Bermondsey
He later became 'Mine Host' of The Jolly Tanners.
I think the cafe became a betting shop.
His great friend was Toby Noble. My brother Peter
and I went to Melior Street School with Toby's
2 boys and our cousins the Fishes.
Previous to all this Dad and Mick Bagnaro (Barber)
used to run the Catholic club in Melior Street.
I remember the Vinigar Yards down the street.
We actually lived opposite Tommy Hatchers and used to hang off the back of the horse and carts.
My teacher was Miss Kightly. We used to walk
Along the street street singing "we won the war
in 1944" 'cos 5 didn't rhyme with 4. !!!!

M T C. Jimmy Wheeler. The

Hi Jimmy, you may recognise my name?! Toby Noble was my grandfather (and namesake) and my dad is David Noble (and Tokey my Uncle). I've just stumbled across this website and its lovely to see fond mention of my Grandad. About 12 years ago my brother Paul put together a photo book collating all the crazy stories we used to hear about our Grandad and those times, and I am currently in the process of digitising it. I'd be happy to share that with you (or anyone who is interested!) once its done. I just messaged my dad (who is currently in Tenerife) and despite the creeping effects of dementia, he remembers you, your brother, dad and that yours was a "lovely family".
Hope you are yours are well.
All the best,
Toby Noble (II!)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:09 am

TobyNoble wrote:
We actually lived opposite Tommy Hatchers and used to hang off the back of the horse and carts.

Hi Jimmy, you may recognise my name?! Toby Noble was my grandfather (and namesake) and my dad is David Noble (and Tokey my Uncle). I've just stumbled across this website and its lovely to see fond mention of my Grandad. About 12 years ago my brother Paul put together a photo book collating all the crazy stories we used to hear about our Grandad and those times, and I am currently in the process of digitising it. I'd be happy to share that with you (or anyone who is interested!) once its done. I just messaged my dad (who is currently in Tenerife) and despite the creeping effects of dementia, he remembers you, your brother, dad and that yours was a "lovely family".
All the best,
Toby Noble (II!)

Hi Toby (TobyNoble), welcome to the site and thank you for your post. I do remember your granddad and his club in Leroy Street, and I know my family the Hamilton’s & Olivers knew Toby, which was not unusual in those days as everybody knew everybody down the Tower Bridge Road. Defiantly be interested in the Photo Book once it is done and believe me there was a lot of crazy things went on up the club and around that area at that time. Not sure if you have been into the Leroy Street Topic on site only there is a picture of Toby’s club there, be nice if we could add some more pictures to jog the old memory. Kiwi.

TobyNoble

Postby TobyNoble » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:35 pm

kiwi wrote:
TobyNoble wrote:

All the best,
Toby Noble (II!)

Hi Toby (TobyNoble), welcome to the site and thank you for your post. I do remember your granddad and his club in Leroy Street, and I know my family the Hamilton’s & Olivers knew Toby, which was not unusual in those days as everybody knew everybody down the Tower Bridge Road. Defiantly be interested in the Photo Book once it is done and believe me there was a lot of crazy things went on up the club and around that area at that time. Not sure if you have been into the Leroy Street Topic on site only there is a picture of Toby’s club there, be nice if we could add some more pictures to jog the old memory. Kiwi.

Many thanks Kiwi - yes I did see the pic of Toby's Gym Club - I think that's how I found this website. I'll be certain to let you know when the book is ready (probably in the coming week). As it's based on tales told by Toby's children about 15 years - it's all understandably subjective and family based, but it makes for a good read! All the best, Toby

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:53 am

Tooley Street, left is the old post office, next is-was the Antigallican Pub.    X..png
Tooley Street, left is the old post office, next is/was the Antigallican Pub.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

The pub and the post box are still there. Maybe someone will recognize them and could they be related. :?: Love that go-kart, that brings back some memories.
15. Three Oak Lane, Tooley Street c1920, two smart girls.  2  X..jpg
Three Oak Lane, Tooley Street c1920, two smart girls.
15. Tooley Street, looking from Three Oak Lane outside the King's Arms Pub, c1928. Pic 1.  2 X..jpg
Tooley Street, looking from Three Oak Lane outside the King's Arms Pub, c1928. Pic 1.
15. Tooley Street, Three Oak Lane 2023, same location as Pic 1.    X..jpg
Tooley Street, Three Oak Lane 2023, same location as Pic 1.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”