MAGUIRE STREET, SHAD THAMES.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

MAGUIRE STREET, SHAD THAMES.

Postby kiwi » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:58 am

Maguire Street, formally New Lane, runs between Shad Thames & Gainsford Street. Maguire Street was named after the Reverend Robert Maguire, Rector of St. Olave’s Parish from 1875 until his death in 1890.
I may be wrong on this, but I think the Shad Thames Pumping Station is now roughly where the Café was. Gibson’s Court and Yard would have been to the rear of these buildings.
4 Maguire Street formally New Lane, Bermondsey, near Gibson's Court, c1906. Mrs Lett's Tea, Coffee, and Dining Room left.  X..png
New Lane, Bermondsey, near Gibson's Court, c1906. Mrs Lett's Tea, Coffee, and Dining Room left.
4  Maguire Street, Bermondsey.   X..jpg

4 Gibson's Yard, off New Square later Maguire Street, c1906.  X..png
Gibson's Yard.
4 Gibson’s Yard, New Square, Shad Thames, c1906.  X..png

Fogbrain

Re: MAGUIRE STREET, SHAD THAMES.

Postby Fogbrain » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:17 pm

kiwi wrote:I may be wrong on this, but I think the Shad Thames Pumping Station is now roughly where the Café was.
It's a really close call, but the cafe was the last building along the street on the site now occupied by the former warehouse called Tamarind Court, right next door to the pumping station. The arch beyond it is on part of the pumping station site.

kiwi

Re: MAGUIRE STREET, SHAD THAMES.

Postby kiwi » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:41 pm

4 Maguire Street, Bermondsey, Shad Thames Pumping Station One of several stations built to pump excess storm sewage into the Thames. X..png
Maguire Street, Bermondsey, Shad Thames Pumping Station

Return to “Buildings & Streets”