OLD KENT ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:27 am

briancreasey44 wrote:
kiwi wrote:Old Kent Road, opposite Mina Road & the old Fire Station. Woolworths is the last shop on the right. X..png

The snap of the shops on the OKR brings back a few memories... much pocket money spent in ‘Stamps’ on OO model railway stuff and Airfix kits in the mid to late 70’s!

Hi Brian, that jogged the memory I had forgotten all about the railway shop and looking in the window, did it have a little train going round and round, or is it my memory going round, and round and I’ve made that up. Cheers Ray. :?

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:49 pm

kiwi wrote:
briancreasey44 wrote:
kiwi wrote:Old Kent Road, opposite Mina Road & the old Fire Station. Woolworths is the last shop on the right. X..png

The snap of the shops on the OKR brings back a few memories... much pocket money spent in ‘Stamps’ on OO model railway stuff and Airfix kits in the mid to late 70’s!

Hi Brian, that jogged the memory I had forgotten all about the railway shop and looking in the window, did it have a little train going round and round, or is it my memory going round, and round and I’ve made that up. Cheers Ray. :?

Hi Ray,

That’s correct... there used to be a small railway layout in the shop window!
I guess they packed up sometime during the 80’s?
There also used to be a model railway stall in the little flea market just off of East Lane too!
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:03 am

Old Kent Road, found the railway shop, left c1978.   X..png
Old Kent Road, found the railway shop, left c1978.
OLD KENT ROAD. X..png
OLD KENT ROAD.
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:27 pm

Old Kent Road, Commercial Way left.  2 X..png
Old Kent Road, Commercial Way left.
Old Kent Road, c1986.The Lord Nelson Pub & the ex-Post Office at No. 380. 1 X..png
Old Kent Road, c1986.The Lord Nelson Pub & the ex-Post Office at No. 380.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:05 am

Two Rockabillies covered in flour and shaving foam at the old ambulance station on the Old Kent Road, which had been converted into a rock venue, 3 August 1985.
Old Kent Road,1985. The Old Fire Station, converted into a rock venue.   X..png
OLD KENT ROAD 1  X.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:11 am

Old Kent Road, Horse Shoe Pub, c1900. This was opposite the Deaf & Dumb School.  X..png
Old Kent Road, Horse Shoe Pub, c1900. This was opposite the Deaf & Dumb School.

tollgatedebs

Postby tollgatedebs » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:14 pm

kiwi wrote:Old Kent Rd, Joe’s Cafe, 1985..png
4 Old Kent Road, c1960.Rolan's furniture and Joe's Cafe near the corner of Lovegrove Street and was opposite Olmar Street. X..png4 Old Kent Road 2021. Same location as Pic 4. I think the building on the right was Rowland’s Furniture Shop. X..png
Lovegrove Street was right of Joe’s café, but now exits in St James Road and is now a gated road.

Hi - I think this is slightly further down than Rowlands, more on the position of the old Post Office, as the staircase on the house to the left is from the small part of the row that was close to the garage and the cafe / Rowlands, was by a small road / pub on the corner of St James Road.

tollgatedebs

Postby tollgatedebs » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:16 pm

kiwi wrote:I think this was on the corner of Ossory Road, where Asda is today. :?: Advertising billboards, Segas gas cookers.
Old Kent Road, derelict buildings at 464-466. I think this was on the corner of Ossory Road, where Asda is today. X..png

This was the corner of Ossory Road, as I worked there in the early 80s and rounded this corner many times!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:19 am

tollgatedebs wrote:
kiwi wrote:Old Kent Rd, Joe’s Cafe, 1985..png
4 Old Kent Road, c1960.Rolan's furniture and Joe's Cafe near the corner of Lovegrove Street and was opposite Olmar Street. X..png4 Old Kent Road 2021. Same location as Pic 4. I think the building on the right was Rowland’s Furniture Shop. X..png
Lovegrove Street was right of Joe’s café, but now exits in St James Road and is now a gated road.

Hi - I think this is slightly further down than Rowlands, more on the position of the old Post Office, as the staircase on the house to the left is from the small part of the row that was close to the garage and the cafe / Rowlands, was by a small road / pub on the corner of St James Road.

Hi tollgatedebs, welcome to the site, and thank you for the feedback. On rechecking I think you are right, the building on the right is the old Post Office building, not Rowlans Furniture Shop,that would have been further to the right just before Lovegrove Street. We were in the same area but it is always good to get it right,once again thank you and keep looking on site you may spot something else that needs adjusting, Cheers Kiwi. ;)
4 Old Kent Road 2021. Same location as Pic 4.  I think the building on the right was Rowland’s Furniture Shop. X..png
Old post office on the right,2021.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:26 pm

Old Kent Road, Thomas A’ Becket Pub, Tommy Gibbons Landlord. 2 X..png
Old Kent Road, Thomas A’ Becket Pub, Tommy Gibbons Landlord.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”