Rouel Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: Rouel Road

Postby kiwi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:36 am

fosney wrote:Aug 29 10 1:59 PM

Just to add that I think the pub was the Red Lion, a 'modern build' of probably early sixties to my mind. Lipton's in Rouel Road was demolished in early 1969, this pix shows the cleared site in March of that year with Pearce Duffs in the background:
[image]

-freddie

posted by rstupple2

Hi freddie the Pub was the red Lion, it used to be halfway up Enid street by Enid garage but the was rebuilt at that site,
All the best Rick

The pub was called the LION. Kiwi.

Lasto7

Re: Rouel Road pubs and Enid street.

Postby Lasto7 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:00 am

The only two pubs that I ever saw over many years that where in Enid street, the Windsor castle at 61-62, halfway along Enid street, and the other pub was next to Rouel rd arch, known as ' the happy home' by locals, number 44, the garage (petrol station) was opposite at the junction with Spa road & Rouel road. All reliable information found on the site which gives the history of London pubs. I was born in Rouel road and my dad met my granddad every Sunday for a lunch time pint in the Windsor castle , if the weather permitted he'd take me along and I'd sit outside with my crisps and lemonade..

Lasto7

Re: Rouel Road jillrogers

Postby Lasto7 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:32 am

I was born in number 31 Rouel rd 1944, later we moved to number 83 Rouel rd opposite the Rouel Tavern, my dad had to beg Rolls estate , who owned the house arguing that it was uninhabitable due to the pub opposite being bombed, they relented when dad said he would repair the damage- they charged us £1 a week rent, the pub stood for a number of years as our playground, my brother got electrocuted in this pub when he gabbed an exposed cable fortunately he recovered with a few burn scars. I remained in Rouel rd until I married at 21.as a kid we played on waste ground opposite 31 Rouel rd, where they eventually built the housing estate heralding the end or Rouel rd as we knew it, few names: Geoffrey Clubb, Billy Steel, the Marsh family, the Hennessys, Michael Bradfield, George Rowbotham, Billy Chislet, to name a few.

Lasto7

Postby Lasto7 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 am

Kiwi I noticed you worked at Beaches in Rouel rd, did you know Roy Rowbotham and John Fitzsimmons?

Lasto7

Postby Lasto7 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:07 am

The Lion[attachment=0]IMG_1033.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_1033.JPG

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Lasto7 wrote:The LionIMG_1033.JPG

Hi Lasto7, thank you for the pictures of the Lion Pub. Just a word about postings, for example, if you look into Enid Street,Spa Road and now Rouel Road Topics you will see the same picture of the Lion Pub a number of times which we do try and avoid.This is so we do not clog up the site with repeat postings. Sometimes posting the same picture cannot be avoided especially if you are explaining something about that picture and also due to the size of the site. Hope you don't mind me saying Cheers Kiwi.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:24 pm

Lasto7 wrote:Kiwi I noticed you worked at Beaches in Rouel rd, did you know Roy Rowbotham and John Fitzsimmons?

Yes I knew both John and Roy and Roys brother Joe. Had quite a few pints on nights away with Roy and Joe when working for Beaches, good memories. ;)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:33 pm

Rouel Road, Pearce Duffs Custard Factory, Bermondsey, Dockley Road in foreground.   X..png
Rouel Road, Pearce Duffs Custard Factory, Bermondsey, Dockley Road in foreground. I think the shed in the right-hand corner was part of the Wood Tool Works.?

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:08 am

The tower block in the background of this picture is Lupin Point on Abbey Steet. The picture was taken at the mouth of the bridge on Rouel Road, with Frean Street going off to the right. This part of Rouel Road, was renamed Marine Street.
Rouel Road, Frean Steet, Bermondsey.  X..png
Rouel Road, Frean Steet, Bermondsey.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:31 pm

kiwi wrote:The tower block in the background of this picture is Lupin Point on Abbey Steet.
It's actually Casby House, which looks identical to Lupin Point.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”