John Feaver Limited

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
Heather

John Feaver Limited

Postby Heather » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi there ... I have joined as I hope that someone may be able to give me some information about the JOHN FEAVER LTD. because I have found a couple of posts on this Forum, mentioning the Works. I know the company was at 120 Tower Bridge Road, London S.E. and have found images of the place on the internet.

I have found the company in a 1918 Directory of Manufacturers in Engineering and Allied Trades. It was making cartridge clips; patrol cans; tin boxes; ammunition cases; etc. In 1921, I know the company made metal collecting tins for the British Legion – in the first British Poppy Day on 11 November 1921, selling French-made poppies. The latter being part of my research. I think the company is dissolved now - is there anyone who can tell me the years the company was trading from and to please? Additionally, any more information that can be added to the above will be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

kiwi

Re: John Feaver Limited

Postby kiwi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi Heather,welcome to the site. Not to sure if any of this information is what you are looking for but I hope it helps.

John Feaver company founded 1862.

Throughout World War One, the company manufactured such things as cartridge clips; petrol cans; ammunition cases; many types of tin boxes, including collection boxes for Poppy Day.
anchor (2).png

Bottom of tin: Impressed words: “J. FEAVER LTD. LONDON S.E. MAKER PATENT No 428326”. John Feaver had his Iron and Tin Works at 120 Tower Bridge Road, London, S.E. The Works manufactured iron drums; tapers; round & square cans; etc.

Interior of tin: It appears that John Feaver’s company used recycled tin to make the British Legion collecting tins in 1921. Recycling metal was a practice that continued onwards from 1921, with the construction of British Legion collecting tins. This particular tin’s interior was obviously sheet metal that had been previously printed with graphics for “TEMPLE PRODUCTS” (“EST. 1909”) enamel gloss paint.

Regarding the Poppies.
1921: MADAME GUÉRIN. It all started with Madame Guérin’s ‘Inter-Allied Poppy Day’ idea. After taking her idea to Field Marshal Douglas Haig and the British Legion, Madame Guérin’s poppies (made by the widows and orphans/women and children of the devastated areas of France) were distributed on British streets on 11 November 1921 – on the country’s first Poppy Day. Madame Guérin personally paid for the British consignment because the Legion was so poor and was reimbursed after the Armistice Day distribution.

Noted in the 1918 Directory of Manufacturers in Engineering and Allied Trades publication, J. Feaver Ltd. employed 220 males and 650 females.

1961 Manufacturers of tin-plate containers for paint, varnish, oils, chemicals, drug and pharmaceutical preparations, also cans for meat, poultry and preserves. A separate department produces flat and taper topped drums and kegs in tin-plate, funnels, measures and large variety of tin-ware, with 500 employees. 1969 they went into voluntary liquidation 28th July. (Completed July 1973).

Heather

Re: John Feaver Limited

Postby Heather » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi Kiwi, Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. The truth of it is, that is my site :D After I posted the query, I continued with my research and what you found, within my 'Remembrance Poppy Timeline for Great Britain' is the result. Since then, I have been able to add more images of other tins, thanks to a stalwart contributor to the chapter: https://poppyladymadameguerin.wordpress ... t-britain/
Thanks again, Heather

Return to “Buildings & Streets”