Abbey Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
nuttyboy pat

Re: Sandbags Under Abbey Street Arch

Postby nuttyboy pat » Thu May 09, 2019 10:32 am

I remember when I was a young 'un (late 60's) there were some mens urinals where the sandbags were in the photo. When we use to go and come home from school and if you were really, really desperate for the loo you had to hold your breath and rush in for the loo and be as quick as you can as the stench was unbearable as it made your eyes water!! I think it only got cleaned quarterly, why, we'll never know :?: :?
I have no idea what the girls did in those days for the loo as there only seemed to be mens public loo's around in those days :!: :!: :!:

Happy Days!
Last edited by nuttyboy pat on Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Re: Abbey Street

Postby kiwi » Thu May 16, 2019 12:53 am

Monarch Buildings. Abbey Street. c. 1935.
Abbey Street, Monarch Buildings.  c. 1935 X..png
Monarch Buildings. Abbey Street. c. 1935. 2  X.png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:25 pm

Abbey Street, The Fleece Pub, Neckinger left of the pub.  X.png
Abbey Street, The Fleece Pub, Neckinger to the left of the pub.

Abbey Street c1962. The Fleece Pub on the corner with Neckinger left.   X.jpg
Abbey Street c1962. The Fleece Pub.
Abbey Street, The Fleece pub lady’s beano 1954.  X.jpg
Abbey Street, The Fleece pub lady’s beano 1954.
Abbey Street, 1954, the Fleece Pub lady’s beano in Banfield’s coach..png
Abbey Street, 1954, the Fleece Pub lady’s beano in a Banfield’s coach.
1 Abbey Street, The Fleece Pub c1999. It closed in November 2000 and is now in residential use.  X..png
The Fleece Pub c1999. It closed in November 2000 and is now in residential use.
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nuttyboy pat

Postby nuttyboy pat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:12 pm

Lovely photo of Abbey Street. If memory serves me the shell fish stall was only there on a Sunday morning. I remember we use to hang around the stall just before he packs up for the day hoping that he'll give us any of his left overs!!!!

I also remember on one occasion coming home from school, we were always larking about, and one of my mates was chasing me and I ran across Neckinger Road straight in the path of a car! Poor guy braked so hard he hit his head on the steering wheel (no seatbelt laws yet!) and I thought I'd killed him! I was so scared I ran all the way home and was shaking like a leaf for the rest of the week :oops: Taught me a valuable lesson though!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:34 am

I think this was on the corner of Providence Place (left), which ran through to Long Walk.?
Abbey Street. St Olave's Union dispensary, c1900.  X.png
Abbey Street. St Olave's Union dispensary, c1900.

Jenner

Postby Jenner » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:08 pm

I loved finding this thread. The pictures are great. My maternal grandparents lived in the Neckinger opposite the Fleece and we lived with them until I was 4. All I'd need is a picture of Joe Cappuccio's shop to make it complete. My Dad was born in Abbey Street and my grandparents and great grandparents lived in the same house until Hitler put paid to it with a bomb. Then my gran lived in Arnold's estate, downstairs from Jimmy Wicks's mother. My schoolfriend lived in Monarch buildings and I'd never seen a picture of them before - just relied on my memories. I found them unbelievably rough. Shared lavatories on a landing! I was brought up in Dockhead but we left when I was 17 - my Dad was a docker and followed the work down to Tilbury so off we went.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:49 pm

kiwi wrote:I think this was on the corner of Providence Place (left), which ran through to Long Walk.?
I think so, too. Tower Bridge road now runs right through the site.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 am

Neckinger Tanneries,Southwark 1930s.  X.jpg

Abbey Street, workers working leather and animal hides at the Neckinger Leather Mills, c1862.  X..png
Workers working leather and animal hides at the Neckinger Leather Mills, c1862.
Abbey Street, Messrs. Bevington and Sons' Leather Mills. June 1931.  X..png
Messrs. Bevington and Sons' Leather Mills, c1931.
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joyaa

Postby Joyaa » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:34 pm

fosney wrote:Abbey Street - Star Cinema - updates for page 30

In 1867 the Landlord of the Star and Garter Public House, Bermondsey, joined in the general enthusiasm to attach a "Music Hall" to the premises. With a seating capacity of 1395, it proved to be a money spinner. In 1883 he was able to sell at a considerable profit to Harry Hart "The Happy Hebrew" who had been associated with the Raglan at Bloomsbury, and the original Bedford at Camden Town. .... In 1892 the "Star" temporarily renamed "Johnny Hart's "Temple of Terpsichore", saw the debut of Bessie Bellwood, a local girl whose profession was a rabbit skinner, with the song "What cheer, Ria" she went on to become one of the great names of music hall.

Fascinating article and huge thanks to Fosney and all contributing to this thread.

I would love more information about the Star in the 19th century, and the Hart family as Harry Hart's sister, Elizabeth was my three x great grandmother, and Johnny Hart was Harry's son. Newspaper reports, stories, and 19th century photos. The article refers to "page 30". Page 30 of what?

Thanks very much in advance, Joyaa

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:30 pm

Re- Page 1 post.
Abbey Street. 2019. Corner with Fendall Street.   X.png
Abbey Street. 2019. Corner with Fendall Street.

fosney wrote:crosby34

What a great picture of Abbey Building all has changed since those days. I can remember a pub on the corner of Pendall Street and in the forecourt of Abbey Buildings the Tower Bridge Road End was Long Walk and there was also a pub in this corner what the names were I dont know perhaps Bermondsey Boy or one of the other members can tell us

With todays picture you would not know it was the same placeAbbey St TBR.jpg

The pub on this corner, Abbey Street/Fendall Street was The Royal George. The White Bear was in Long Walk. Kiwi.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”